Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Penicuik vs Whitehill 9.10.21
My thanks to Andy Penman for the match report Penicuik 4 whitehill 0 Penicuik: Watt, Baptie, Young, Kateleza, Watson, Somerville, Neave, Thomson, Forbes (c), McCrory-Irving, Reid, SUBS | McMurdo, Dawson, Furness, Hope, Walsh, Collins Whitehill : Dibaga, Connor, McCardle, Gormley, Trialist A, Wilson, Walker, Cunningham, Laidlaw, Wier, Stewart Subs: Ward, Foster, Brown, Hornig, Scoibie, McKinley, Trialist B Manager McLeish made three changes from last week’s winning line up for the Midlothian derby clash with Whitehill as skipper Somerville returned along with Young and Neave in place of Dawson, Collins and Furness who all dropped to the bench. The Cuikie started on the front foot and in the 3rd minute McCrory-Irving’s pass found Reid in space on the right-hand side and his shot was saved by Dibaga at the near post and the rebound cleared. In the 7th minute Dibaga collected a long pass back from Walker but hit his clearance straight to Reid some 35 yards but he saw his effort go narrowly past, and just three minutes later it was Reid again who drove into the box but saw his low shot gathered the Whitehill custodian. Whitehill found some possession in the Penicuik half and in the 11th minute Walker dragged a shot well wide and in the after math of a corner two minutes later the same player dragged another long-range effort wide of the opposite upright. The home side returned to the attack and with 16 minutes gone it was Somerville who was denied by a one handed save by Dibaga from 10 yards out and five minutes it was Kateleza who was frustrated by the keeper as he tried to knock the ball over just inside the 18-yard box. Just past the 25-minute mark Baptie flashed a free kick wide of the upright and ten minutes later a superb Neave through ball set Somerville free but again Dibaga made a timely interception to deny the striker. Minutes later Kateleza and Watson combined to set up Reid on the left-hand side, but his shot fizzed across the goal and past the far post. With five minutes left of the half a super Walker pass found Weir on the penalty spot but the striker was unable to control the ball cleanly to take advantage and two minutes into added time a Walker free kick was deflected wide for a corner. Half Time: Penicuik 0 Whitehill 0 Into the second half and the home side again started on the front foot and within a minute Reid sclaffed a shot wide with Dibaga going ion the wrong direction. But the visitors responded with Walker once again at the centre of the action setting up Laidlaw, but he fired wide. In the 57th minute Walker broke into the home box and Watt had to be smart at the near post to touch his effort over the bar and from the resulting corner, Gormley sae his header hit the crossbar and go over. This got an immediate response from the home side as Reid set Kateleza free on the right, his pass found Somerville 12 yards out, but the skipper’s shot crashed off the bar, but NEAVE was on hand to volley home the opener with 59 minutes gone. On the hour mark Reid and Somerville combined to set up McCrory-Irving in front of goal but Dibaga pulled off another save to thwart the home side. McLeish freshened up his side as the pair who combined for the goal, Somerville and Neave were replaced by Hope and Furness and a wee change of formation as they sought to increase their lead They did that in the 67th minute when Dibaga was caught in possession on the edge of his box by Kateleza, who fed Watson who passed to REID who took a few steps forward and crashed a shot from 30 yards into the net. Dibaga was injured in the process and replaced by the sub keeper. With fifteen minutes left Watson saw a shot from 18 yards go narrowly past the upright and with just three minutes left Hope saw a curling effort from a similar position mee the same feat! However, the efforts on goal weren’t finished and in the 89th minute a long ball from Thomson found DAWSON in space on the right-hand side and the big striker made ground, rounded the keeper and slotted home from an acute angle. Into injury time and REID snatched the man of the match award with his second goal as he dispossessed the defender on the edge of the box, made space to shoot and his angled drive nestled in the far corner of the net. Final Score: Penicuik 4 Whitehill 0