Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Camelon vs Penicuik 7.5.22
Camelon 1 Penicuik 6 Camelon Juniors: Wilson, Sandison, Boyle, Cattanach, McArthur (c), McIllduff, Kasa, Paton, Bevan, Stevenson, McKay SUBS | Fleming, Hamilton, McGuire, McDonald, Ismaili, Welna Penicuik Athletic: Watt, Baptie, Edwards, Kateleza, Watson (c), Tansey, Collins, Thomson, Hope, McCrory-Irving, Walsh. SUBS | O’Donnell, Dawson, Somerville, Weekes, Furness, McGinley, Waugh Penicuik travelled to Carmuirs Park to meet Johnny Harvey’s already relegated Camelon side in the final away league match of the season. The Cuikie looking to take all three points to ensure the fight for the league title goes to the wire. After a spell of pressure, the visitors took the lead in the 18th minute as Tansey picked up a Hope pass on the left-hand side and his low cross was met six yards out by KATELEZA who cushioned the ball into the back of the net off the post. The visitors were dominating possession but weren’t creating many clear cut chances but on the half hour mark McCrory- Irving forced a good save from Wilson but saw Thomson’s header from the resulting corner go over the top. In the 34th minute Edwards had a close range effort parried away by Wilson and then three minutes later the visitors had a gilt-edged chance to go two up as Walsh set up Kateleza but the striker saw his effort blocked by Wilson. With three minutes to half-time the home side created their first meaning full attack as the Cuikie back line switched off and a quickly taken free kick from wide on the right saw the ball cut across goal and put in at the back post by MacKAY. Half time: Camelon 1 Penicuik 1 The half time interval saw Weekes replace goal-scorer Kateleza and it took just two minutes for Cuikie to take the lead as Tansey start a passing move on the left which saw the ball reach Collins wide right and his deep cross to the back post was met by TANSEY who volleyed into the far corner. A minute later Baptie stood over a free kick in his own half, some 65 yards from goal and saw his audacious effort strike the junction if post and bar with keeper Wilson beaten. Cuikie had their tails up, maybe buoyed by the news from Prestonfield and on 53 minutes Tansey was turning McArthur inside out as he moved into the penalty area and was brought down as was about to shoot at goal; ‘Penalty to Penicuik’ and a red card for the defender. TANSEY strode up and confidently dispatched the ball past Wilson to extend Cuikie’s lead. Five minutes later Cuikie went further in front as McCrory-Irving’s fast feet found space at the edge of the box and he slipped a wee ball through the Camelon defence and WALSH was on hand to slot home. With 65 minutes gone Waugh replaced McCrory-Irving who was sitting on a yellow card followed three minutes later by McGinley replacing Collins who had been on the end of some rough treatment, before manager McLeish played his final hand bringing on Somerville and Dawson in place of goal scorers Tansey and Walsh. With four minutes left Falkirk loanee WEEKES opened his account for the Cuikie as picked up a pass from Sommerville on the right and drifted in on goal and rolled the ball under the keeper and the scoring was completed a minute later when HOPE played a one two with Sommerville some 25 yards out and stepped forward to curl his shot into the top corner. The news of Tranent dropping two points at Linlithgow made sure the title race goes to the last day. FINAL SCORE – Camelon Juniors 1 Penicuik Athletic 6