Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Partick Thistle vs Penicuik 23.11.19
3rd Round Wm Hill Scottish Cup
Partick Thistle 1 Penicuik 0 Partick:   Fox,   Williamson,   Penrice,   O’Ware   (c),   Hall,   Harkins,   Cole,   Palmer,   Slater,   Zanetta,   Saunders   Subs:   Sneddon, McGinty, Miller, Robson, Mansell, De Vita, Kakay‬ Penicuik:         Watt,   Young,   Page,   Connolly   (c),   Jones,   Watson,   Tansey,   McCrory-Irving,   Ponton,   Stevenson,   Forbes   Subs:     Swain, O’Donnell, Baptie, Kateleza, Somerville, Stewart Penicuik   travelled   to   Firhill,   Glasgow   to   play   Partick   Thistle   in   the   3rd   round   of   the   William   Hill   Scottish   Cup   along   with   the support   of   over   1300   fabulous   fans   who   really   made   their   presence   felt   throughout   the   whole   of   the   match.   Unfortunately, Penicuik   were   caught   cold   in   the   opening   minute   when   a   ball   over   the   top   of   their   defence   was   volleyed   home   first   time   by Reece   COLE    to   give   the   Jags   the   lead.   Despite   this,   the   visiting   fans   increased   the   volume   in   the   Jackie   Husband   stand encouraging   their   side   to   greater   efforts.   In   the   10th   minute   keeper   Watt’s   clearance   was   picked   up   by   Cole   who   tried   to lob   the   keeper   but   Watt   pulled   off   a   superb   save   to   concede   a   corner   kick. Two   minutes   later,   Jones   had   a   great   chance   to equalise,   but   is   effort   went   past   the   post. Then   a   Cole   corner   kick   saw   O’Ware   rise   above   the   defence,   but   his   header   flew over   the   bar.   In   the   27th   minute,   Harkins   drove   past   three   Penicuik   defenders   only   to   drag   his   shot   wide   of   the   post.   Ten minutes   later,   with   Penicuik   upping   their   game,   a   McCrory-Irving   strike   flashed   inches   over   the   crossbar.   With   half   time approaching,   Penicuik   were   dominating   play   with   Partick   defending   desperately   and   only   last   gasp   blocks   prevented   the equaliser. Right on half time, a Partick corner kick saw Watt pull off an instinctive save off a powerful downward header. Half Time: Partick 1 Penicuik 0 Four   minutes   into   the   half   and   Watt   had   to   be   alert   to   save   a   Craig   Slater   strike.   One   minute   later,   a   Tansey   free   kick eluded   the   Jags   defence   and   Connolly   was   inches   only   away   from   making   contact   and   the   ball   went   harmlessly   past   for   a goal   kick.   In   the   55th   minute,   a   corner   to   Partick   was   gathered   by   Watt   at   the   second   attempt.   Shortly   afterwards, Penicuik   lost   possession   but   Watt   rushed   from   goal   to   make   an   excellent   save   at   the   feet   of   the   Partick   forward.   In   the Jags   next   attack,   Slater   saw   his   powerful   drive   well   held   by   Watt.   In   the   72nd   minute,   a   cross   from   the   right   wing   to   the back   post   saw   Kenny   Miller   make   contact,   but   the   ball   came   back   off   the   crossbar   and   was   cleared   for   a   corner.   Then Watt   was   in   action   again,   diving   down   to   his   left   to   turn   the   ball   round   the   left   hand   post.   From   the   corner   Watt   did   well   to clutch   the   ball   under   intense   pressure.   Penicuik   gradually   worked   their   way   back   into   the   game   and   threw   everything   they had   at   the   Partick   defence,   but   were   unable   to   get   the   elusive   equaliser.   Penicuik   gave   everything   they   had   throughout the   game   and   were   by   no   means   over   awed   by   the   Jags   despite   the   home   side   being   four   divisions   above   them.   At   full time the whole team paid tribute to the fabulous supporters who made their presence felt throughout the ninety minutes. Final Score: Partick 1 Penicuik 0