Website designed and maintained by Website4u 16.4.11   Penicuik 4 Thornton 2
Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, McDermott, Meikle, Leighfield, Barr, Brigain, Gay, Harvey, Miller, Killin Subs: Smith, Lockhart, Walker Thornton: Smith, Carstairs, Shields, Hepburn, Mill, McGuire, Walker, Thomson, Mullen, Morgan, Mahkoull Subs: Gay, Anderson, Smith, Kinness Referee: Mr Alistair Watt Thornton Hibs returned to Penicuik for this league fixture having been required to play all their home fixtures at their opponents grounds because their pitch remained unplayable. Penicuik opened the scoring in the 6th minute when Keith Barr caught out the Thornton defence with an excellent pass that sent HARVEY free. He outpaced his marker and slotted the ball home in the bottom left hand corner of the net. Minutes later the same player almost scored again, but his header scraped over the bar. Thornton got back on level terms in the 14th minute when a quickly taken indirect free kick allowed Mahkouull to get to the bye line and drill over a low cross that was deflected off LEIGHFIELD for an own goal. This boosted the visiting side and saw them have good twent minute spell of possession and passing, but the could not turn that advantage into goals. Penicuik then got back into the game and took the lead in the 37th minute when HARVEY nipped in ahead of his marker to head home a McDermott corner kick. One minute before half time the goal of the game came Penicuik’s way when McDERMOTT took a short corner kick and turned inside to take the return. He took two strides forward and lashed an unstoppable shot into the keeper’s top right had corner of the net. Half Time: Penicuik 3 Thornton 1 With Penicuik still in the staring blocks, Thornton came at them from the whistle and in the 47th minute, WALKER  slammed home a cross from the left wing to get his side back in the game. The goal shocked Penicuik into action and piled on the pressure, but keeper Smith pulled off a series of excellent saves to deny the home side. However, the points were sealed for Penicuik in the 63rd minute. Smith won the ball in his own half and set off with a blistering run down the right wing. He cut the ball back into the box where KILLIN ran in to side foot the ball past the helpless Smith. Penicuik had a real let off shortly afterwards when a snap shot from inside the penalty box crashed back off the bar and was cleared. Penicuik continued to create chances and Meikle saw his effort cleared off the goal line and his second attempt from the rebound was well saved by Smith in goal Final Score: Penicuik 4 Thornton 2