Website designed and maintained by Website4u Penicuik Athletic: William Bald, Graham Gallagher, Mike McDermott, Trialist, Brad McKay, Paul Riley, Ryan Gay, Keith Barr, John Harvey, Craig Millar, Ross Montgomery. Subs: Charlie Brigain, Trialist, Grant Killin, Trialist and Craig Meikle. Thornton Hibs: Kevin Smith, Chris Mill, Andrew Adam, James Shields, Michael McAinsh, Keiran McGuire, Graeme Walker, Ian Hepburn, Coco Mullen, Ross Morgan and Murray Carstairs. Subs: Adam Doig, Andrew Harrow, Matthew Gay and Chris Gay. Referee: Lorraine Clark. Penicuik Park came out of cold storage after a prolonged spell of winter weather. This was Penicuik's first match since the one all draw against Carnoustie on 20th November, 2010 while Thornton hadn't played since their visit to Penicuik on 13th November when they went down by six goals to two in an East of Scotland Cup tie. Despite snow, ice, wind and torrential rain over the previous forty eight hours, the pitch survived a morning inspection and the game went ahead in calm but cold conditions. The pitch stood up remarkably well to a hard fought match. Penicuik enjoyed early possession and crosses by Montgomery and then Barr were cleared by the green shirted defence. Harvey's name was first in the referee's book before Penicuik were rocked in the twelfth minute. MULLEN reacted quickest to a long pass through the centre of the defence and fairly thumped the ball home to give Thornton the lead in effectively their first attack. The lead lasted only seven minutes when clever play by Barr found Harvey on the edge of the box. Harvey slipped a pass to MILLAR who drove the ball in to the net despite loud claims from the Thornton defence for off side. Morgan was shown a red card for comments to the referee leaving his team to play the remainder of the game with ten men. Penicuik tried to take quick advantage of their numerical superiority but Smith pulled off a great save from Gay after a Barr pass had released Montgomery to cross into the danger area. Penicuik's trialist centre half headed the resultant corner from Montgomery past the post. Thornton's lively centre forward Mullen then came close with a snap shot which fizzed past Bald's right hand post. In the twenty ninth minute the home team went in front. Good work by Riley, Barr and Harvey created space for McDERMOTT who hit a left foot shot from just outside the penalty area which seemed to wrong foot goalkeeper Smith before hitting the back of the net. Thornton came back straight away and Bald pulled off a terrific save to finger tip a net bound Walker drive over the crossbar. At the back post a stretching McAinsh headed Carstair's corner high and wide. A spirited Thornton side were making light of being a man short and drew level in the thirty eighth minute. Mullen laid the ball into the path of McGUIRE whose fierce left foot drive hit the target to send the teams in level at the break. Half Time: Penicuik Athletic 2 v 2 Thornton Hibs. Penicuik who had started the game without regulars, Walker, Robertson, Killin, Brigain and Meikle through injury made no changes at half time. There was a lengthy stoppage as both McKay and Thornton keeper Smith required attention after a clash in the Thornton six yard box. The home team regained the lead with nine second half minutes gone. GAY, who enjoyed a tousy tussle with Adam throughout the second half sent a high ball over from wide on the right and it sailed over the despairing Smith to hit the inside of the post and then the back of the net. Johnny Harvey almost increased the lead three minutes later after good work by Millar and Barr created an opening but his right foot shot passed the wrong side of the post with Smith scrambling. The influential Riley was cautioned for a strong challenge on Walker as Penicuik fought to keep control. Thornton were far from out of the game and after Penicuik's trialist centre half was booked for a trip on the edge of the penalty area the width of the post denied the visitors from equalising. Carstairs left footed free kick hit the post and went out for a bye kick. Hepburn who had been prominent throughout in midfield was next to be cautioned and was immediately substituted. Brigain came on for Millar as Penicuik kept up the chase for the fourth goal. There were loud claims for a penalty as Barr appeared to be held back after rounding the grounded Smith before falling over in the penalty box with the empty goal gaping. Gay was denied twice in quick succession as his net bound drives were blocked in a crowded penalty area. Thornton were still putting up a spirited display and defender McAinsh was pushed up front in an effort to find a way through the Penicuik defence. Penicuik deservedly made the game safe as the ninety minutes slipped away with a cracking goal. Harvey sent a pass out wide to the fast running Gay who crossed without breaking stride to the inrushing BRIGAIN  who first timed his tenth goal of the season into the back of the net. This defeat leaves Thornton rooted to the foot of the table while Penicuik were delighted to pick up a deserved three points after so long without a game. Result: Penicuik Athletic 4 v 2 Thornton Hibs 5.2.11 Penicuik Athletic 4 Thornton Hibs 2 Match Sponsor - John Fraser