Season 2008/09

Penicuik vs Carnoustie 2.5.09
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
Player profiles
Penicuik Committee
Manager and Coaching Staff
Our Sponsors

Penicuik: Livie, Gallagher, Steel, Lynch, Foster, Milne, Jones, Barr, McDonald, Moonie, Montgomery Subs: Killin, Burke, Trialist, Cowan, McKean


Carnoustie: Jamieson, Cook, Scott, Collier, Campbell, Smith, Conway, Hall, Voigt, Reilly, Clark Subs: Hendry, Muhsin, Thompson, McLaughlin, Beith


Referee: Mr Michael Taylor

Match Sponsor: Beatsons Building Supplies
Match Ball Sponsor: Micro-vision

Penicuik 0 Carnoustie 4

Penicuik were the first to threaten when a great diagonal pass picked out Jones on the right. Moonie met his cross ball but the defender managed to block his shot and the rebound came back off Moonie for a goal kick. Immediately afterwards, keeper Jamieson had to rush out to thump the ball clear to deny McDonald. In the 15th minute following some strong pressure by Carnoustie, three shots were blocked by the Penicuik defence and the danger cleared. Three minutes later, a long ball from defence by Carnoustie found Voigt in an offside position wide on the left, but referee Taylor waved play on and Voigt’s cross

was slotted into the net by REILLY.


In the 22nd minute, a deep cross was struck net bound by Conway, but Lynch stuck out a boot to save the day. Then a partial clearance by Penicuik fell to Reilly on the edge of the box, but his volley went high and wide of the target. Two minutes later, Campbell glanced a header from a free kick inches past keeper Livie’s left hand post. Then in a rare Penicuik attack, Barr hit the side netting from a tight angle. At the other end, Voigt should have done better when, unchallenged, he headed over a Conway cross. In the 33rd minute Carnoustie almost scored from a free kick from the edge of the box. Immediately afterwards, Barr did well to waltz through the Carnoustie defence, but his chip shot was just too high. One minute later, Moonie had a great chance, but keeper Jamieson tipped his shot over the bar. Right on half time, with Penicuik claiming for a free kick that referee Taylor ignored, SMITH picked up a pass and then rifled a shot past Livie from 20 yards.


Half Time: Penicuik 0 Carnoustie 2


At the start of the second half, keeper Jamieson had to look lively to save a McDonald strike. In the 50th minute, Carnoustie were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty box. Keeper Livie only put two men in the wall and CONWAY had the easiest of tasks to curl the ball past the wall into the net. Ten minutes later, Scott broke up the left for Carnoustie only to see his cross, come shot beat Livie but, to Penicuik’s relief, the ball landed on the top of the net. In the 60th minute, Scott picked out Voigt who laid the ball off to Smith, but his effort went well wide of goal. In the 73rd minute, nice skills by Barr set up Killin, but his powerful shot went a yard over the bar.


Then in the 79th minute, Penicuik’s day was summed up when a horrendous mistake by keeper LIVIE saw him slice a Gallagher pass back into his own net when under no pressure. However Livie could take some consolation shortly afterwards when he pulled off the save of the match, turning substitute McLaughlin’s shot round the post. Carnoustie continued to dominate the game, but without creating many clear cut chances and ran out worthy winners. This was probably Penicuik’s worst performance of the season and it is just as well the side had amassed the points in the early part of the year, otherwise they could have been in serious trouble.


Click on photos to enlarge






Enter supporting content here