Season 2008/09

Penicuik vs Kinnoull 28.3.09
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
Player profiles
Penicuik Committee
Manager and Coaching Staff
Our Sponsors

Penicuik: Livie, Gibb, Steel, Meikle, Foster, Ryrie, Gallagher, Milne, Cameron, Moonie, Montgomery Subs: McDonald Killin, Mc Kean, Gay, Bald


Kinnoull: Bruce, Nicol, Gardiner, Tang, Wilkie, Ross, Anton, McManus, Holden, Kelly, McKenzie Subs: Quinn, Gray, Sweeney, Brown, McIntosh


Referee: Mr Gavin Duncan

Penicuik 0 Kinnoull 3

The game started brightly with both teams playing some excellent football, but it wasn’t until the 15th minute before either keeper was tested when Livie got down well to save a glancing header from a Kinnoull free kick. Immediately afterwards a quick attack by Penicuik saw Cameron lay the ball off to Moonie, but he blasted the ball over the bar. In the 22nd minute, another free kick to Kinnoull was partially cleared to Wilkie, but his first time volley went wide of the target. Then in the 23rd minute, Steel brought down Kelly in the box and McMANUS converted the spot kick.


Shortly afterwards Kinnoull came close with another free kick that flashed past Livie’s left hand post. In the 33rd minute, Killin, who had come on for the injured Milne, was rather harshly red carded for an unintentional late tackle. Then, two minutes later, Moonie followed his teammate to the dressing room for an equally soft ordering off. Up to that point, it had been an excellent contest, but the game was now ruined from a spectators’ point of view. In the 37th minute Cameron got past two defenders only to see his shot scrape past the right hand post.


Half Time: Penicuik 0 Kinnoull 1


In the opening minute of the second half, Cameron got past his marker again, but keeper Bruce did exceptionally well to block his strike on goal. Minutes later, Penicuik again came close when a Montgomery volley went narrowly past keeper Bruce’s left hand post. Then in Penicuik’s next attack, Bruce was well placed to save a deflected Montgomery shot. In the 52nd minute, Kinnoull broke quickly from defence; Holden laid the ball off to KELLY who slotted the ball home from fifteen yards. At the other end, Ryrie broke up the right wing and set Cameron free, but his shot went over the crossbar.


In the 72nd minute, Kinnoull attacked down the right and Anton’s shot was brilliantly turned round the post by Livie. Then a great pass picked out Montgomery. He drove into the penalty box and appeared to have been fouled from behind, but referee Duncan booked Montgomery for diving. In the 83rd minute, a clumsy push in the back by Gibb saw a second penalty awarded to Kinnoull. The spot kick was comfortably scored by HOLDEN, sending keeper Livie the wrong way. Four minutes later, referee Duncan once again flashed his red card, this time at Kinnoull’s McKenzie. This was a game that was shaping up to be a really good contest, but was spoiled by over zealous refereeing.

Click photos to enlarge