Penicuik Athletic FC

St Andrews vs Penicuik 8.5.10
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Ground Location
Contact us
Our Sponsors
Junior football odds
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee
50/50 Club
Want to be a Sponsor
The Fans

St Andrews Utd: Davidson, Raeside, Brown, McGuigan, Evans, Patrick, Sutherland, Fraser, Grant, Brash, Ramsay Subs: Hegarty, Maxwell, Muhshin, Wedderburn, Malone, Dorward, Finlay


Penicuik Athletic: Bald, Gallagher, Kennedy, Meikle, R Harvey, Walker, Gay, Barr, J Harvey, Miller, Montgomery Subs: Milne, Korinek, Trialist


Referee: Mr Mark McHendry

St Andrews Utd 0 Penicuik 2

Penicuik travelled to Recreation Park, St Andrews for this penultimate East Premier League match seeking points to secure their place in the League next season. Their efforts were well rewarded with a 0-1 victory, and with Fauldhouse Utd and Blairgowrie drawing, Penicuik were safe from relegation.


Penicuik started brightly from the outset and were first to threaten when a Harvey strike went narrowly past keeper Davidson’s right hand post. St Andrews regularly threatened down their right flank where McGuigan caused Kennedy problems, but whenever he got past him, Meikle was always there to sweep up. Defences continued to dominate, but on the half hour, a long ball out of defence by Penicuik found Miller who got the better of his marker, but with only the keeper to beat, Davidson stuck out a leg to deflect Miller’s shot away for a corner. Shortly afterwards, Harvey turned his man and let fly from the corner of the penalty box. Davidson in goal watch anxiously as Harvey’s shot flashed inches past the junction of the post and crossbar. St Andrews were quick on the break, but were unable to create anything positive in the final third of the pitch where Penicuik’s defence was solid.


Half Time: St Andrews Utd 0 Penicuik 0


The second half was one minute old when a diagonal pass picked out MONTGOMERY wide on the left wing. He controlled the ball and from 35 yards struck a shot that dipped over Davidson in goal and flew into the top corner of the net. Penicuik now had their tails up and started to control the game forcing St Andrews to resort to the back to front long ball that the Penicuik defence coped with easily. However, St Andrews refused to give up and Bald came to the rescue with a great save to turn a powerful McGuigan shot round the post for a corner kick. Shortly afterwards, St Andrews were awarded a free kick just outside the box and R Harvey was booked for breaking from the wall early. The retaken free kick was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Bald. As the game progressed, frustration began to creep into Saints play and Fraser was booked for dissent. Then Montgomery tried another long range effort that beat Davidson, but scraped past his left hand post. With minutes to go Fraser received his second yellow card for a bad foul on Miller. Penicuik saw out the final minutes and five minutes of added on time to secure victory and remove the spectre of a relegation, do or die tie, against Fauldhouse United on the last day of the season.



Click on photos to enlarge