Penicuik Athletic FC

Penicuik vs Fauldhouse 21.2.09

Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Ground Location
Contact us
Our Sponsors
Junior football odds
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee
50/50 Club
Want to be a Sponsor
The Fans

Dylan Davidson, Match Mascot

Penicuik: Ramage, Gallagher, Steel, Lynch, Meikle, Milne, Jones, Barr, Cameron, McDonald, Moonie Subs: Gibb, Ryrie, Cowan, Montgomery Killin


Fauldhouse: Maley, Cunningham, Wardlaw, Burrows, Cooper, Carmichael, Meechan, Stewart, Graham, Felvus, Martin Subs: Smith, McLenaghan, Connelly, McDonald


Referee Mr Alan Spalding

Match Sponsor: The Old Codgers and Mascot
Match Ball Sponsor: Q4 Linen & Towel Management

Penicuik 1 Fauldhouse Utd 0

Fauldhouse kicked off on a very heavy pitch and Penicuik breathed a sigh of relief when, in thirty seconds, Felvus beat keeper Ramage only to see his shot come back off the post and cleared. Then at the other end, a poor clearance by keeper Maley fell to Cameron whose strike from fully forty-five yards had Maley back peddling to tip the ball over the bar. Two minutes later, Jones had a chance, but shot high over the bar. Penicuik were piling on the pressure and Maley had to rush from his goal line to deny Cameron. In the 8th minute, Cooper came close for Fauldhouse with a header from a corner kick. In the 13th minute, Penicuik had what appeared to be a perfectly good goal disallowed by referee Spalding.


Then a McDonald shot was blocked by Maley, and only a desperate last gasp tackle prevented Cameron scoring the opening goal. In the 23rd minute, the woodwork saved Fauldhouse when a Meikle header hit the crossbar. However in the 25th minute, Penicuik were not to be denied, and when Barr won the ball in midfield, he passed the ball to McDonald. His lay off to Steel was hit first time into the box, and the ball broke kindly for MOONIE who coolly slotted home from twelve yards. Ten minutes later a fine cross by Jones picked out Cameron, but his effort went wide of the target. Minutes later, a neat chip had Penicuik defence in trouble, but Ramage was alert to the situation and rushed out to nip the ball away from Felvus.


Half Time: Penicuik 1 Fauldhouse 0


Three minutes into the second half, Jones picked out McDonald with a pinpoint cross, but his effort flashed past the post. In the 53rd minute, Martin for Fauldhouse drove in on goal, but his right foot shot went high and wide of the target. In Penicuik’s next attack, Moonie broke down the left only to see his testing cross cut out by keeper Maley. Then a Moonie shot was slightly deflected, but Maley did well to save low down at his near post. In the 69th minute, Fauldhouse should have scored from a corner kick, but the player completely missed his header from close range. Four minutes later, an error by keeper Ramage saw substitute Smith nip the ball away from him, round the keeper and, with the goal at his mercy, unbelievably hit the cross bar from ten yards.


In the 75th minute, an excellent move up the right wing by Penicuik saw Killin curl a great cross round the back of the Fauldhouse defence, but Cameron, at the back, post ballooned the ball over the bar from six yards. Then a free kick to Fauldhouse was headed narrowly over the bar by Cooper. In the 85th minute, a long ball out of defence by Gallagher picked out Cameron who must have been two yards offside, but he carried on only to see Maley pull off a tremendous save when he tipped the striker’s shot over the bar. Two minutes later, following a corner to Penicuik, Cameron’s glancing header was kicked off the goal line and cleared. Then Barr showed great tenacity to get past three defenders and cut the ball back to Montgomery, but his shot went over the bar. Three minutes into injury time, Montgomery sailed in with a terrible two-footed tackle on Carmichael who understandably retaliated. Both players were red carded ending the play on a sour note.

Click on photos to enlarge