Penicuik Athletic FC

Lanark vs Penicuik 24.1.09 - 4th round Scottish Cup (Replay)
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Ground Location
Contact us
Our Sponsors
Junior football odds
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee
50/50 Club
Want to be a Sponsor
The Fans

Lanark: Brown, McDade, Burns, Middleton, Gray, Stark, Hanlon, Cuthill, Myles, McGuire, Jaffrey Subs: Finniegan, France, Airth, Haddow, Thomson


Penicuik: Ramage, Gallagher, Lynch, Meikle, Foster, Milne, Gay, Barr, Cameron, McDonald, Ryrie Subs: Jones, Montgomery, Cole, Gibb, Steel


Referee: Mr Steven Allen

Lanark 4 Penicuik 2

In the opening minute, Ramage had to rush from goal to deny McGuire. Then a neat McGuire pass set Cuthill free, but he hooked his shot wide of the target. In the 14th minute, Cameron’s pass picked out Gay, but Craig in goal, beat out his powerful shot. The rebound fell again to Gay, but he blasted the ball high over the bar. In the 24th minute, Hanlon got past Gallagher and sent over a deep cross to the back post, but the strike by Myles went high and  wide. Then Ramage pulled off a good save from a Hanlon free kick.


On the half hour Penicuik took the lead when CAMERON powerfully headed home a Gay free kick. At the other end, Myles turned Foster and shot first time, but Ramage was well placed to save. In the 34th minute, a long ball out of the Penicuik defence beat the offside trap, and CAMERON, after blocking an attempted clearance, saw keeper Brown off his line, and he coolly lobbed him to double Penicuik’s lead. Six minutes later, Penicuik elected to play the ball out from defence when a long clearance was more appropriate, and consequently were caught out, and gave away an avoidable foul. From the free kick, CUTHILL rose above everyone to head home from fifteen yards. Just before half time, following a great run down the left wing by McDonald, he cut the ball back to Cameron, but his strike went a foot wide of the right hand post.


Half Time: Lanark 1 Penicuik 2


In the 51st minute, Lanark attacked down the left wing and only a last minute tackle by Gay snuffed out the danger. One minute later, Ramage pulled off a fine save from a Jaffrey free kick. Then Penicuik broke quickly from their own penalty area when Meikle drove thirty yards upfield, played in Cameron who flicked the ball on to McDonald. He cut the ball back to the edge of the box where Gay, under pressure, shot high over the bar. In the 67th minute, Ramage pulled off the save of the game when, at full stretch, he tipped a Jaffrey free kick over the bar. Four minutes later, Lanark got the equaliser when a McGuire strike came back off the bar and HANLON headed home the rebound.


In the 83rd minute, a defence splitting pass picked out HANLON who drove in on goal and he coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Ramage. Just before full time, a fine move by Penicuik saw substitute Montgomery race past two defenders, get to the by line and cross the ball low and hard to the front post, but and outstretched boot deflected the ball away. Lanark then raced upfield and with Penicuik caught short at the back, Hanlon picked out substitute FRANCE in acres of space and he made no mistake when he slammed the ball home to seal the tie. The game ended on a sour note when Lanark’s Haddow was red carded for violent conduct.



Click on photos to enlarge