Penicuik Athletic FC

Penicuik vs Lanark Utd 17.1.09 - Scottish Cup 4th Round
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Ground Location
Contact us
Our Sponsors
Junior football odds
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee
50/50 Club
Want to be a Sponsor
The Fans

My thanks to John Fraser for the match report and photographs.

Penicuik Athletic – Mark Ramage, Graham Gallagher, Kris Steel, Craig Meikle, Brian Foster, Matthew Lynch, Ryan Gay, Keith Barr, Martin Cameron, Colin McDonald and Ross Montgomery. Subs: Scott Gibb, Dean Jones, Chris Burke, Graham Cole and Mark Cowan.


Lanark United: Craig Brown, Mark Haddow, Paul Burns, David Middleton, David Gray, Craig Stark, Tom Hanlon, Grant Cuthill, Craig Myles, David McGuire, Darren Jaffrey. Subs: Kevin McDade, Paul Airth, Thomas Franch, Keiron Downes and sub g/k Stewart Thompson.


Referee: Stephen Allen. Assistants, P Gartland and N Watt.

Penicuik 0 Lanark 0

Lanark United, who have only lost once so far this season, were Penicuik’s first visitors in 2009 for a fourth round Scottish Junior Cup tie.  Penicuik were without Ryrie and Moonie after injuries were picked up in last week’s win over Arniston. Match referee Steven Allen passed the pitch playable in a morning inspection after a huge effort by the home club. Without a game since before Christmas, Lanark took a while to get going on the very heavy surface.


Lanark keeper Brown pulled off a magnificent save in the seventh minute when McDonald was set free after good build up play by Cameron and Montgomery. The resultant corner sailed past the crowded penalty box and the pressure was eased. Brown was his team’s saviour again in the twenty first minute when he somehow parried a point blank Cameron header from a pin point Gay cross. Neither Cameron or Montgomery were able to force the loose ball over the line


A free kick on the edge of the penalty area in the twenty first minute gave Lanark their first chance but Jaffrey’s left foot effort sailed high over the bar. McDonald, Barr, Lynch, Montgomery, Cameron and Gay were all prominent for Penicuik but they could not quite come up with the key to unlock a solid Lanark defence.


With ten minutes of the first half remaining Brown again came to his sides rescue when he managed to get a hand to the ball as Foster was waiting to nod Montgomery’s corner kick into the net. Half time was fast approaching when Lanark thought they had opened the scoring but as the ball hit the back of the net the far side linesman had his flag raised and the goal did not count.


Half Time: Penicuik Athletic 0 v 0 Lanark United.


Brown was injured in the first minute of the second half as he bravely dived at Cameron’s feet and deflected Penicuik’s top scorer’s effort just past the post for another fruitless corner. McGuire had been at the heart of Lanark’s best moves and he looked as if he would score four minutes after the restart after outwitting Meikle and closing in on Ramage but only managed to tamely lob the ball into the Penicuik keeper’s hands. McGuire again ran at the Penicuik defence after a Jaffrey corner but failed to trouble Ramage as he was crowded out.


Lanark’s number ten had two appeals for penalty kicks turned down as he went to ground in the penalty area but referee Allen was having none of it.  Lanark continued with a passing game to frustrate the large home support who were desperate to see their side take the lead. Jaffray had been pulled back to mark Gay who had enjoyed some wide open spaces in the first half and a real ding dong battle between the two raged until the last quarter of an hour when Gay moved infield to take the substituted Barr’s midfield role.


Cole and Jones were introduced as Penicuik substitutes but were unable to tip the balance in Penicuik’s favour. A stalemate ensued with two evenly matched sides cancelling each other  out on the day. Only a late Foster header threatened for Penicuik while Steel cleared a final McGuire thrust. Lanark had not forced a save out of Ramage all afternoon and Cuthill shot high over the bar as the referee brought this hard fought encounter to a close. For the first time this season, apart from the challenge match against Auchinleck Talbot Penicuik failed to score and must travel to Lanark next Saturday regretting not scoring when on top in the first half to find their way into the last sixteen of the national competition. Lanark were delighted to finally get a game under their belt and will no doubt benefit from the tough ninety minutes.


Full Time: Penicuik Athletic 0 v 0 Lanark United