Penicuik Athletic FC

Carnoustie vs Penicuik 11.10.08
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Ground Location
Contact us
Our Sponsors
Junior football odds
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee
50/50 Club
Want to be a Sponsor
The Fans

Carnoustie: Gourlay, Narey, Scott, Robertson, Thompson, Hunter, Huhsin, Smith, Voigt, Reilly, Clark Subs: Beith, Hall, Collier, McLaughlin, Cook


Penicuik: Ramage, Gallagher, Steel, Lynch, Meikle, Ryrie, Gay, Munro, McDonald, Milne, Moonie Subs: Barr, Foster, Cole, McKean, Montgomery


Referee: Mr Kevin Graham

Carnoustie 4 Penicuik 1

The game started in ideal calm conditions, and in the 7th minute Penicuik attacked down the left and the ball was laid back to the edge of the penalty area where Milne struck the ball first time, but straight at the keeper who saved comfortably. Two minutes later, a great pass from defence picked out McDonald who beat his man and set up Gay, but his strike went wide of the target. At the other end, Scott for Carnoustie saw his long range effort go wide of the goal. Then in the 21st minute Penicuik broke quickly from defence and MOONIE scored from 20 yards with a dipping, curling shot that baffled keeper Gourlay.


In the 28th minute Reilly had a chance, but his shot went high and wide of the target. In the 39th minute, following a flowing move by Penicuik, Moonie got a touch to the final pass, only to see the ball come back off the base of the upright and cleared. Immediately afterwards, another swift break by Penicuik saw a superb pass pick out Gay rushing in on goal, but his touch let him down and the danger was cleared. Then a dazzling run done the left by Clark ended with his powerful shot being tipped past the post by Ramage. However from the corner, ROBERTSON rose above the Penicuik defence to head home a deserved equaliser.


Half Time: Carnoustie 1 Penicuik 1


A strong wind was now blowing straight up the park, and with the wind behind their backs, Carnoustie started to pile on the pressure. Clark again tormented the Penicuik defence only to see his shot deflected inches past the post for a corner kick. In the 61st minute, with Penicuik under severe pressure, Carnoustie had six successive corners in a row, with Ramage somehow managing to tip a goal bound header from the fifth corner over the bar. Then in the 69th minute, the Carnoustie pressure produced a goal. A deep cross into the box was headed out by Meikle who appeared to be fouled by two Carnoustie players, and the ball fell to CLARK who slammed the ball past Ramage.


In a rare Penicuik attack, substitute Cole left Robertson in his wake, but his well struck shot went straight at Gourlay who did not now much about it, but did really well to hold on to the ball for an important save at a crucial point in the game. Carnoustie were now on top of the game and from another corner kick, SMITH headed home from close range.  The game was wrapped up in the 83rd minute when a pin point cross by Narey picked out SMITH who guided his header past Ramage. This was an excellent game of football, only spoiled by a pernickety referee whose decisions often baffled both sides and the fans alike.