Penicuik Athletic FC

Arniston vs Penicuik 25.8.08
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Ground Location
Contact us
Our Sponsors
Junior football odds
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee
50/50 Club
Want to be a Sponsor
The Fans

Arniston: Fraser, Laird, Moriarty, Noble, Shand, Lucas, McIntosh, Darling, Umatang, Stevenson, Martin Subs: Sheerin, Howat, Connison, Donlevy, Hunter


Penicuik: Ramage, Munro, Montgomery, Gibb, Foster, Lynch, Gay, Barr, McDonald, Milne, Mooney Subs: Cameron, Jones, Gallagher, Ryrie, Cole


Referee: Mr Gavin Duncan

Arniston 2 Penicuik 3

This was Penicuik’s penultimate game in the League Cup section and they had to win to have any chance of topping the section. They started brightly when a Milne pass picked out Moonie, but keeper Fraser rushed from goal to smother the ball. Then one minute later, a deep cross to the back post by Arniston was met by McIntosh, but Ramage easily saved his header. In the 6th minute, Barr came close with a left foot volley that went narrowly past the keeper’s right hand post. Minutes later, a fine passing move ended when Moonie’s shot went just wide of the goal.


In the 22nd minute, Penicuik should have scored when Gay’s cross was headed down to Moonie, but he somehow struck the ball over the bar from six yards. However, the opening goal came two minutes later when MILNE sent over a dangerous cross that everyone missed and the ball ended up in the back of the net off the post. Immediately afterwards, McIntosh had a great chance, but he mishit his shot and it trundled harmlessly into the side netting. The same player then had another opportunity, but he dwelt too long on the ball and was crowded out by the Penicuik defence. In their next attack, Martin saw his shot flash across the Penicuik goal and past the post.


In the 38th minute, Ramage tipped an Arniston free kick over the bar for a corner. At the other end, two goals in two minutes by Penicuik set up a comfortable half time lead. A quick break from defence saw Milne set up BARR who coolly slotted the ball past Fraser, and then MILNE was on hand to slot home from close range after Fraser dropped a free kick.


Half Time: Arniston 0 Penicuik 3


In the opening 30 seconds of the second half, Stevenson should have scored when he had only the keeper to beat, but Ramage spread himself well and blocked the shot. In the 50th minute, Moonie sent a testing ball low across the Arniston penalty area, but Cameron could not get a foot to the ball. Then three minutes later, a flowing move by Penicuik saw Moonie head home Montgomery’s inch perfect cross to the front post, but referee Duncan erroneously chalked the goal off for offside. In the 65th minute, Cameron set up Barr who elected to lob keeper Fraser when other options were on, and his effort sailed high over the crossbar. One minute later, with the Penicuik defence claiming offside, Stevenson crossed the ball to UMATANG who rammed the ball home from six yards.


In the 70th minute, a long ball out of defence caught out Penicuik. Umatang charged in on goal, but Ramage read the situation well and raced out of goal to clear. Shortly afterwards, Stevenson passed up a clear cut goal opportunity when he failed to head home from inside the penalty box. Two minutes later, another ball over the Penicuik defence found McIntosh, but Lynch came across defending strongly and the danger was cleared. Then in the 81st minute, Howat’s pace beat Foster, but fortunately for Penicuik Lynch was there to get across and clear. In the 81st minute, Cole failed to get on to a Montgomery cross that only required a tap in from three yards. Immediately afterwards, Cameron saw his shot beat Fraser, but come back off the post. Arniston pulled back a second goal in the 83rd minute when, following a long ball out of defence, STEVENSON scored from inside the six yard box. Shortly afterwards, McIntosh was sent off after he received his second yellow card.


Final Score: Arniston 2 Penicuik 3

Click photos to enlarge