Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Nithsdale vs Penicuik 15.9.18
2nd Round South Challenge Cup
Nithsdale 2  Penicuik 11 Nithsdale:    Kerr,   Crolley,   Telfer,   Bell,   Fleming,   Farrow   (c),   Griffiths, A   Lang,   Thomson,   West,   L   Lang   Subs:   Gallacher,   Gall, Sheppard, Candlish, Dalzell Penicuik:    Wood,   Caddow,   Williams,   Young,   Hamilton,   Connolly   (c),   McCrory-Irving,   Jones,   Kateleza,   Somerville,   Ponton Subs: Hume, Forbes, Sampson, Sproule, Baptie, McIntosh This   was   Penicuik’s   South   Region   Challenge   Cup   debut   yesterday   as   they   faced   Nithsdale   Wanderers   in   the   second round   and   they   racked   up   the   club’s   biggest   win   of   the   modern   era   to   progress   to   the   third   round.   Right   from   the   start Penicuik   piled   on   the   pressure   and   took   the   lead   in   the   5th   minute   when   BELL ,   under   pressure,   knocked   the   ball   into   his own   net.   In   the   13th   minute,   KATELEZA   doubled   Penicuik’s   lead   when   he   tapped   home   McCrory-Irving’s   cut   back.   Three minutes   later   it   was   0-3   as   JONES   slotted   the   ball   into   the   bottom   corner   of   the   net.   Penicuik   were   over   running   the   home side   and   it   only   took   another   three   minutes   to   add   a   fourth,   courtesy   of   Penicuik’s   top   goal   scorer,   SOMERVILLE .   In   the 29th   minute,   good   work   from   Jones   ended   with   him   delivering   an   excellent   cross   for   SOMERVILLE   to   dive   in   and   head his   second   and   Penicuik’s   5th. Ten   minutes   later   a   third   hat-trick   of   the   season   for   SOMERVILLE   his   excellent   strike   finish high   into   the   net.   In   the   43rd   minute,   PONTON   followed   up   to   slot   home   the   seventh,   after   Somerville’s   initial   shot   was saved. Half time: Nithsdale 0 Penicuik 7 The   home   side   battled   hard   and   Penicuik   found   it   more   difficult   to   get   the   ball   in   the   net.   Ten   minutes   into   the   half   and SOMERVILLE   added   an   8th   goal   and   his   fourth   of   the   game.     Then   in   the   64th   minute,   SAMPSON   rose   to   glance   home   a Somerville   cross.   Nithsdale   were   awarded   a   penalty   in   the   69th   minute   duly   converted   by   THOMSON .   Then   another inside   five   minutes   to   Nithsdale   was   again   awarded   a   penalty   with   Young   receiving   a   red   card.   Keeper   Wood   got   a   touch to   THOMSON’s   spot   kick   but   couldn’t   keep   the   ball   from   crossing   the   line   reducing   the   leeway   to   2-9.   Despite   being   down to   ten   men,   Penicuik   were   still   the   dominant   side   and   SPROULE   collected   Kateleza’s   excellent   set   up   and   fired   in   his   first goal   since   his   return   from   injury,   and   his   first   since   2016. The   scoring   was   completed   in   the   89th   minute   when   a   Sampson strike came back off the post and McCrory-Irving’s return shot was turned into his own net by keeper KERR Final Score: Nithsdale 2 Penicuik 11
My thanks to John Crawford for the match photos and to Andy Penman for the match report