Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Penicuik vs Musselburgh 22.9.18
2nd Round Football Nation Qualifying Cup
Penicuik 4 Musselburgh 0 Penicuik:  Cordery, Caddow, Baptie, Young, Hamilton, Connolly (c), McCrory-Irving, Jones, Kateleza, Somerville, Ponton Subs: Hume, Forbes, Sampson, Sproule, MacDonald, McIntosh Musselburgh :    Cornet,    Lynch,    Whyte,    Myles,    Deland,    Gregory,   Thomson,    Evans,    Maskrey,    Callaghan,    Hogg    Subs: McBay, Ralton, Reid, Nicholson, Stewart, Morgan Penicuik   were   quick   out   the   blocks   applying   pressure   on   the   Musselburgh   defence   and   in   the8th   minute,   Penicuik’s   top goal   scorer,   Somerville,   was   inches   away   from   adding   to   his   tally.   At   the   other   end,   a   free   kick   to   Musselburgh   saw Cordery   pull   off   an   excellent   one   handed   save   to   deny Thomson.   However   Penicuik   took   the   lead   in   the   14th   minute   when a    training    ground    corner    kick    saw    keeper    CORNET     unfortunately    put    the    ball    in    his    own    net.    One    minute    later, Somerville’s   glancing   header   went   inches   past   the   post. Then   in   the   18th   minute,   a   great   interception   by   Somerville   set   up KATELEZA   who   blasted   the   ball   into   the   roof   of   the   net.   Three   minutes   later   it   was   3-0   when   BAPTIE   waltzed   through three   defenders   and   hit   a   screamer   into   the   top   corner   of   the   net.   The   game   was   literally   put   to   bed   in   28th   minute   when JONES    showed   great   composure   to   Chest   down   and   volley   the   ball   past   Cornet.   Penicuik   continued   to   dominate   play   and possession,   but   in   a   rare   Musselburgh   attack,   Cordery   was   well   placed   to   save   Callaghan’s   shot.   Just   before   half   time, Hamilton   cut   out   a   dangerous   Hogg   cross   and   was   relieved   to   see   the   ball   loop   over   the   crossbar.   Penicuik   counter attacked immediately and Ponton watched as his shot round keeper Cornet looked net bound but curled past the far post. Half Time: Penicuik 4 Musselburgh 0 Four   minutes   into   the   half   and   a   poor   pass   back   put   Cordery   in   trouble   but   he   managed   to   get   to   the   ball   first   and   clear. However   the   ball   was   immediately   sent   back   towards   goal   but   it   drifted   just   wide   of   the   target.   In   the   55th   minute,   a Connolly    free    kick    was    well    saved    by    Cornet.    Two    minutes    later,    Cornet    did    well    to    block    a    strike    by    Kateleza. Musselburgh   were   working   hard   to   get   into   the   game   and   for   the   next   ten   minutes   had   their   best   spell   of   the   game   but with   no   end   product.   In   the   78th   minute,   Penicuik   had   a   great   chance   to   increase   their   lead,   but   Ponton’s   effort   went   high over the bar. Penicuik created more chances but the final cutting edge was missing. Final Score: 4 Musselburgh 0