Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Arniston vs Penicuik 8.9.18
Arniston 0 Penicuik 7 Arniston: McQueen, Boyne, ‪Taylor, Joyce, Jones, Power, G Robertson, Mitchell, Mair, Cranston, Lawrence, Subs: B Robertson, Wilson, Houldcroft-Doig, Lloyd, Caitlin, McBay Penicuik Athletic: Cordery, Caddow,Williams, Young, Hamilton, Connolly (c), McCrory-Irving, Jones, McIntosh, Somerville, Ponton Subs: Sproule, Kateleza, Sampson, MacDonald, Baptie Penicuik attacked from the kick off and keeper McQueen required two attempts to save a Jones strike. Then in the 6th minute CONNOLLY gave Penicuik the lead when he drilled home a free kick from just outside the penalty area. Two minutes later Penicuik doubled their lead when a well worked corner kick saw McINTOSH apply the finishing touch. Penicuik continued to pile on the pressure keeping keeper McQueen in the heart of the action. However, in the 21st minute McQueen could on watch as CONNOLLY got his second with a superb curling strike from far corner of the penalty area into the top corner of the net. Connolly then came close to his hat trick with a powerful strike that flashed inches wide of the target. In the 33rd minute, a corner to Penicuik saw the ball break to McINTOSH who coolly slotted home. One minute before half time, Ponton set up McINTOSH to complete his hat trick. Half time: Arniston 0 Penicuik 5 Five minutes into the half and clever combination between Caddow and McCrory-Irving saw McIntosh head the ball just wide of the goal. Then a training ground corner kick set up Jones at the edge of the box but his shot flew inches over the crossbar. Penicuik should have increased their lead minutes later but Jones somehow blasted the ball over the bar from close range. Penicuik’s attacks were coming in waves and only desperate defending and missed chances kept the deficit to five. However, the home defence was finally breached in the 78th minute when JONES won possession in the home half of the park. He dribbled past three defenders, rounded the keeper to stroke the ball into the empty net. Further chances fell to McIntosh, Jones and Sproule but all were scorned. In a rare Arniston attack, G Robertson was inches away from getting a touch to a dangerous cross along the Penicuik six yard box. Then in the 85th minute, substitute KATELEZA latched on to a pass to drill the ball past McQueen for his first goal of the season. Three minutes later, a strong driving run and thirty yard strike by Sproule beat McQueen all ends up but crashed back off the junction of the crossbar and upright. In the dying seconds of the game, McIntosh had one final chance but was denied by a fingertip save by keeper McQueen . Final Score: Arniston 0 Penicuik 7