Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Tranent vs Penicuik 7.4.18
3rd Round Fife & Lothians Cup
Tranent 0 Penicuik 1 Tranent: Horne, Hawkins, Rutherford, Christie (c), Smeaton, Miller, Waters, McCallum, Paterson, Smith Subs: Fiddler, Dowie, Devlin, Fairnie, Wells Penicuik:  Allison (c), Forbes, Baptie, Hamilton, Williams, Connolly, MacDonald, Jones, Kateleza, Somerville, Ponton Subs:  McCrory-Irving, Mendes, Sinclair, Jamieson, Cordery Penicuik started the game strongly and forced three consecutive corners in the 4th minute, but the home side defended stoutly. Then a MacDonald strike was turned round the post by keeper Horne. With a quarter of an hour gone, a quick break by Penicuik saw the home defence under real pressure and only some desperate defending saw off the danger. Minutes later, a great through ball set winger Smith free but his low cross into the box was cut out by keeper Allison. At the other end Kateleza was just about to pull the trigger, but an excellent tackle denied the striker. However, Penicuik’s hard work was rewarded in the 25th minute when Ponton broke down the left, cut back inside and laid the ball off to SOMERVILLE. His first touch was poor but is first time volley from twenty yards was perfect and the ball hit the back of the net with keeper Horne rooted to the spot. On the half hour, a quick break by Tranent saw Paterson in on goal, but his shot was turned round the post for a corner. Just before half time, Jones tried to curl a shot from the edge of the box, but his effort went wide of the upright. Half Time: Tranent 0 Penicuik 1 Tranent came out for the second half raising their game and put Penicuik under pressure. However, the Penicuik defence were solid with captain Hume leading the line by example. Consequently, the home side’s efforts broke down in the last third of the park. In the 59th minute, Miller had a chance for Tranent, but his hooked shot went a couple of yards wide of the goal. In the 66th minute, Tranent finally got round the back of the Penicuik defence, but the low cross into the box was well cut out by Allison. Immediately afterwards, Penicuik’s first sortie into the oppositions half saw a Ponton cross booted clear. In the 78th minute, with Tranent piling on the pressure, A free kick was curled into the box and substitute Devlin had the easiest of tasks to knock the ball into the net, but he completely missed the ball and the danger was cleared. Then in the 87th minute Connolly slotted the ball home off a free kick, but he was ruled offside. One minute later, a Tranent corner kick was met at the back post but the header hit the top of the cross bar and away for a goal kick. Final Score: Tranent 0 Penicuik 1
Click on the camera to view match video