Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Penicuik vs Linlithgow Rose 5.8.17
Penicuik 3 Linlithgow 2 Penicuik: Allison, Forbes, Williams, Hume (c), Young, Jones, McCrory-Irving, Barr, Lough, Kateleza, Montgomery Subs: Trialist, Connolly, Reid Linlithgow Barnard, Gray, Turnbull, Thom, Leiper (c), Sloan, Ronald, Ru MacLennan, Malone, Coyne, Ro MacLennan Subs: Batchelor, Strickland, Shields, Devine, Hill In the opening game of the season Penicuik Athletic were at home to Linlithgow Rose. Penicuik got off to a flyer in the 4th minute when a Montgomery cross into the box forced an own goal by  TURNBULL. Two minutes later Linlithgow broke up the right wing and Ronald sent over a testing cross but was headed clear by Darrell Young. In the 12th minute a great run by Barr, culminated with a strike on goal that keeper Bernard turn away to safety. At the other end a long ball from defence set up a Ruary McLennan but keeper Allison rushed out to nip the ball off the feet of the midfielder. Then in the 15th minute Lough and Kateleza combined to give Kateleza a chance but the keeper did well to block the shot and the rebound was hit by Barr and cleared off the goal line, however a penalty kick was awarded and the KATELEZA converted the kick with aplomb. In the 24th minute a quick break by Linlithgow saw Coyne one on one with keeper Allison but once again the keeper denied the striker blocking his shot with his foot. Penicuik were in total control of the game and one minute later, once again, Keteleza tormented the Rose defence and his final pass setup LOUGH who had the easiest of tasks to slot home from close range. Just before half- time a long range effort by Linlithgow was comfortably gathered by keeper Allison. Then a strike by full back Williams was saved one handed by Barnett. Half-time: Penicuik 3 Linlithgow 0 In the 3rd minute of the second half a neat combination between Barr and Kateleza saw Keteleza's shot blocked and cleared. Then in the 51st minute a thunderous strike by RU McLENNAN fairly fizzed past keeper Allison. Three minutes later Linlithgow scored again this time through the other brother RO McLENNAN to make it 3-2. Penicuik were under severe pressure but managed to hold out and in the 70th minute an attack up the right by Penicuik saw a testing Connolly cross cleared away to safety. Immediately afterwards Barr was bursting through into the penalty box when he was pulled back but referee Smith allowed to play go on and keeper pulled off the save of the match to deny the midfielder. In the 75th minute Linlithgow were on the attack again when Ronald got round the back of the defence and his cross was struck by Coyne but blocked by Allison, then the rebound was headed back straight into the keeper's arms, again by Coyne. Referee Smith spotted and infringement and gave Coyne his second yellow card and an early Bath. Three minutes later, Penicuik's Young was dismissed, again for a second yellow card. From the free kick taken by Sloan, keeper Allison pulled off an excellent safe to keep the score at 3-2. Penicuik were under strong pressure but continued to defend well until four minutes into injury time when Forbes rather harshly, received a straight red card and dismissal. Full Time: Penicuik 3 Linlithgow 2
Click on the camera to view match video