Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Penicuik vs Kennoway 3.2.18
Penicuik 4 Kennoway 1 Penicuik:  Cordery, Forbes, Williams, Hume (c), Young, Connolly, MacDonald, Jones, Somerville, Kateleza, Ponton Subs McCrory-Irving, Hamilton, Sampson, Baptie, Jamieson Kennoway: Paterson, Craig, Band, Rolland, Brewster, C Gay (c), M Gay, Muir, Bryce, Shaw, Collins, Subs Lindsay,  McGowan This was the first ever meeting between Penicuik Athletic and Kennoway Star Hearts and after drawing 5-5 with Linlithgow Rose the previous week, Penicuik new they were in for a tough game. The game started at a really high tempo, swinging from end to end and in the 5th minute, Kateleza had to shots on goal desperately blocked and cleared. Two minutes later, Bryce got to the bye line but his low cross into the box was cut out by Penicuik’s new keeper, Cordery. In their next attack, Star’s Shaw was one on with Cordery, and the keeper’s outstretched boot turned the shot away. Penicuik took the lead in the 10th minute when Kateleza set up PONTON who shrugged off the tackle to slip the ball low past keeper Paterson for his first Penicuik goal. At the other end, A Kennoway free kick from the edge of the penalty box flew high over the bar. Penicuik then had a chance to double their lead when Kateleza nipped the ball off Paterson, but with the keeper stranded, Kateleza’s cross back into the box was cut out by Brewster for a corner. From the corner, a Jones strike beat the keeper, but was cleared off the line. Just before the half hour, Bryce had a chance for the visitors, but his effort flew over the crossbar. Play immediately switched to the other end where Paterson made an excellent save to deny MacDonald. Then Kateleza was thwarted by Paterson with another great save. Right on the half time whistle, some determination by Jones set up KATELEZA and he did well to slam the ball home amid a sea of players. Half Time: Penicuik 2 Kennoway 0  Kennoway started the second half strongly and with the Penicuik defence under pressure, pulled a goal back in the 51st minute. Following a corner to Kennoway the ball was crossed in to the back post where ROLLAND headed home. Despite the difficult under foot conditions, the tempo of the game was still at an exceptionally high level and again the game was swinging from end to end. In the 57th minute, Cordery pulled off an excellent save to deny Shaw. Penicuik restored their two goal lead in the 71st minute when JONES started and finished the move with a first time volley that took a wicked deflection off the defender into the net giving keeper Paterson no chance. Minutes later substitute Sampson was cynically scythed down from behind on the edge of the box as he charged through the Star defence. PONTON took the free kick and curled the ball round the defensive wall and in off the upright. Immediately afterwards, Kennoway broke down the left and Shaw was again denied by a top class save by Cordery. In the 80th minute, Cordery was again in action cutting out a dangerous cross into the six yard box. Then Sampson came close with another powerful run. Two minutes later, Cordery was relieved to see a high ball beat him but hit the top of his crossbar and away for a goal kick. Final score Penicuik 4 Kennoway 1
Click on the camera to view match video