Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
 Broughty vs Penicuik 14.10.17
Broughty 1 Penicuik 4 Broughty   Ross, Blair, Suttie, Liveresdge, Winter (c), Robertson, McWalter, Hay, Kesson, McNaughton, Milne Subs: Fleming, Kenneth, Sinclair, Smith, McCord (T) Penicuik:  Allison, MacDonald, Williams, Young, G Hamilton, Jones, McCrory-Irving, Barr (c), Kateleza, Somerville, Montgomery Subs: J Hamilton, Jamieson, Ponton, Mendes, Hume THE CUIKIE DOESN’T CRUMBLE!! The unbeaten league leaders made the journey to a Broughty side buoyed by their 6-2 win at Carnoustie the previous week and seeking to continue their improved form under their new management team. The visitors were without internationalist Andy Forbes (getting married!), but otherwise were at full strength, long term injuries apart. Broughty took the lead in the first minute without any of their players touching the ball as Allison failed to control a pass back and saw the ball end up in the net behind him. The visitors responded and Somerville shot past the post before Milne received the first of many yellow cards for the visitors with only four minutes on the clock. Penicuik restored parity in nine minutes when KATELEZA turned away from his marker and fired home from Montgomery’s cross. The visitors looked sharper than the hosts and both Montgomery and Kateleza almost got on the end of the final ball into the box and took the lead on 24 minutes when SOMERVILLE netted at the front post from McCrory-Irving’s cross. The visitors continued to have the better possession and attacking play and just before half time Jones brought out a good save from Ross in the home goal.  Half time - Broughty 1 Penicuik 2  Penicuik had the first chance of the second half as McCrory-Irving fired over before Liversedge saw his header well saved by Allison and cleared off the line by Hamilton and as Penicuik broke up the park two tackles from behind on Barr saw the first flare up of the game and saw three home players go into referee Bell’s book. KATELEZA saw a shot blocked by Ross with 56 minutes gone but he wasn’t to be denied two minutes later when he raced clear from Montgomery’s pass and slotted past Ross. In the 65th minute Ross again saved the home side as he stopped Somerville’s close-range effort before the game exploded three minutes later when Blair saw a straight red for a bad tackle on Barr who had been clearly targeted by Broughty. After a lengthy stoppage as referee Bell dealt with the ‘afters’ Barr and Kateleza were replaced by Jamieson and Jack Hamilton. Ten minutes later the home side were reduced to nine men when Winter received a second yellow for a tackle from behind on Jones. In the 80th minute Somerville was denied again as his effort was cleared off the line before Broughty had a rare chance as the ball ricocheted past the post. MacDONALD finished the scoring in the 90th minute as Somerville turned provider as he set the right back free to beat the offside trap and fire past Ross to complete the visitor’s dominance over a home side that finished with nine men.     Broughty 1 Penicuik 4
Click on the camera to view match video
My thanks to John Crawford for the match photos and to Andy Penman for the match report