Penicuik Athletic
Established 1888
Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Match Report
Penicuik vs Bathgate 26.8.17
1st Round East of Scotland Cup
Penicuik 4 Bathgate 1 Penicuik: Allison, Forbes, Williams, Hume (c), Young, Jones, Mendes, Barr, Lough, Kateleza, Ponton Subs: J Hamilton, MacDonald, Montgomery, McCrory-Irving, Easton Bathgate: Harkness, Griffin, Bonnar, Gilhooley, MacIssac, Boyle, Hogg, Horn, Feeney, JJ Henderson, Dalrymple Subs: Harris, MacLeod, Thomas, J Henderson, Meikle Penicuik could have taken the lead in the 2nd minute when a Forbes cross caused panic in the visitors defence but despite a fumble, keeper Harkness finally smothered the ball amidst a tangle of legs. In the 20th minute, Bathgate attacked up the left wing and a powerful strike from 2o yards was beaten away by keeper Allison and the danger cleared. Five minutes later the visitors took the lead when a long ball out of defence saw indecision between Hume and Allison allowing HORN to nip in and score. The lead lasted only two minutes when an inch perfect cross by Forbes picked out KATELEZA who powered home a header. On the half hour, a clever lob over the Thistle defence saw Kateleza flick the ball on to Mendes, but he blasted the ball high over the bar. Minutes later, Kateleza outpaced his marker, but Harkness spreads himself well to block the strikers shot. Immediately afterwards, a training ground corner kick was headed by Lough, but deflected away for another corner kick. Penicuik took the lead in the 41st minute when Kateleza won possession for the home side, laid the ball off to LOUGH who fairly drilled the ball into the net from 20 yards. Half Time: Penicuik 2 Bathgate 1 Three minutes into the half and a flowing move by Penicuik saw the ball hit the back of the net, but Lough was ruled offside. In the 61st minute, Williams lost possession in his own half and Thistle’s Henderson had a quick shot that went wide of the goal. Four minutes later, a cross by Ponton into the box was bulleted home by KATELEZA to make it 3-1. In the 66th minute, Kateleza held the ball up well in the opposition’s penalty box, laid the ball back to substitute McCrory-Irving and his strike beat Harkness all ends up only to hit the crossbar and away for a goal kick. However, Penicuik were not to be denied, and in the 69th minute substitute HAMILTON, who had just come on to the park, slotted home into the bottom corner of the net to put the game to bed. Penicuik were piling on the pressure and keeper Harkness pulled off two successive saves to deny Hamilton and then Ponton. In a rare Bathgate attack, Hogg broke down the right, cut inside and Allison did well to turn the ball away for a corner kick. Penicuik continued to dominate the game and ran out comfortable winners. Final Score: Penicuik 4 Bathgate 1
Click on the camera to view match video