Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Dundee Violet vs Penicuik  25.5.13 Penicuik Athletic
My thanks to Andy Penman for the match report and to John Crawford for the match photos
Dundee Violet; J Kelly, M Kelly, Ballantyne, Milton, Gibb, Duffy, Urquhart, Szpak, Duell, Lawson & McConnachie Subs - Hutchison, O'Connor, Johnston, Rowan & Sime Penicuik Athletic: Trialist, Cunnison, Thomson, Meikle, Reid, McPartlin, Roxburgh, Barr, Millar, Patterson & Montgomery. Subs - McDermott, Gay, Killin, Ryrie, Bunyan Referee - Mr Scott Leslie Penicuik travelled to Dundee, looking to complete the double over Violet, a team who may still hold the key to who is promoted in 4th place to the Super League. With a trialist in goals due the absence of the unavailable Bald, and veteran Reid at centre half in place of the unavailable Kerr, the visitors kicked off in the Dundee sunshine. The kick off had been preceded by an impeccable minutes silence in tribute to Bonnyrigg Rose committee man Craig Devine, who tragically passed away watching his beloved Rose in midweek. Penicuik were first on the attack in the 5th minute when Roxburgh and Barr exchanging passes in the box but Roxburgh's shot was well saved by Kelly. Cuikie were passing the ball well on the excellent surface, but were getting caught out on the counter by the combination of Lawson and Duell. In the 16th minute Lawson ghosted past Meikle to get his shot away which was cleared by Reid for a corner. Penicuik took the lead in the 19th minute after excellent set up play by McPartlin and Millar, who controlled McPartlin's pass to lay off to PATTERSON in space and he drilled home from 18 yards out. The home side were spurred into action and in the 21st minute danger man Lawson's cross into the box was cleared by Reid with Duell in close attention and from the ball back into the box Lawson headed off the cross bar before Duell put the rebound over the top. Cuikie went back on the attack and Patterson set up Roxburgh whose shot was held by Kelly under the crossbar and 5 minutes later Montgomery struck a fierce shot first time from out on the left which was parried at the near post by Kelly. Violet had a glorious chance to equalise when indecision between Meikle and the trialist keeper allowed Duell a shot at an open goal but he lobbed it over the bar. With 35 minutes on the clock Violet were awarded a penalty after a foul by Cunnison but Duell's effort hit the post and went behind with the keeper going in the other direction. The visitors then had a couple of chances with Millar being thwarted by a marginal offside decision and Cunnison shooting weakly at the keeper. Just on half time Barr was given a stern lecture by referee Leslie following an incident on the far touchline before Violet launched the final attack of the half but their good passing move was thwarted by a timely Cunnison intervention. Half Time: Dundee Violet 0 Penicuik 1 Play went from end to end at the start of the 2nd half, with both sides defending corners well. Duell had another opportunity in the 50th minute but shot high and wide, before Urquhart cut inside but shot weakly at the trialist keeper. Thomson cut out a Duell pass at the edge of his box and moved the play to the other end where Gibb cleared the danger for Violet as Penicuik tried to get a vital 2nd goal. With an hour gone a mis-hit Patterson shot was headed goal bound by Millar but was well saved by Kelly and the ball was scrambled clear. The play was going from end to end and it was the home side's turn to press as Thomson came to Cuikie's rescue clearing Lawson's shot off the line before a long kick out by trialist was hit  first time by Patterson and was deflected wide for a corner. Barr was prominent in the visitors midfield but was lucky to escape without a caution as he caught Violet's Sime late 35 yards out. With ten minutes left Roxburgh lost possession at the edge of the Violet box and Gibb's break was stopped on the half way line by Reid, who received a yellow card for the foul, but it was Penicuik who wrapped up the points in the 86th minute when BARR putting his foot in where it mattered, got a touch to a Gay free kick past the helpless Kelly and kept the visitors hopes of promotion alive.  In the closing minutes Gibb of Violet was fortunate to only see yellow as he lifted his hands against Millar. A decent game in the sun with a vital three points returning to Penicuik Park. Full Time: Dundee Violet 0 Penicuik 2
Dundee Violet 0 Penicuik 2