Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik vs Tayport 11.5.13 Penicuik Athletic
Penicuik 1 Tayport 2 Penicuik: Bald, Cunnison, Thomson, Meikle, Kerr, McPartlin, Gay, K Barr, Millar, Roxburgh McDermott Subs: Reid, Cameron, Killin, Patterson, Montgomery Tayport: Ross, Mudie, McCulley, Robertson, Thomson, Rollo, McPhee, Murray, Gray, Elvin, Boyd Subs: Donachie, Tonner, Mann, Mair, Ferrie Referee: Mr A Hogg This league clash held important promotion aspects for both sides, but it was the visitors who came away with three points, securing their promotion to the Super League next season. The defeat for Penicuik put a huge dent in their promotion prospects, whilst still mathematically possible, the loss has made it an extremely hard prospect to attain, requiring them to now win all five of their remaining league fixtures. Tayport took the lead in the 2nd minute when McPhee cut across the Penicuik penalty box and let fly with a powerful left foot strike that Bald did exceptionally well to parry. However the rebound fell to Tayport's top goal scorer, MURRAY, who slotted the ball home from close range. Penicuik gradually got over the shock of conceding the early goal and started to press the visitor's defence. Tayport's keeper Ross was under siege with a series of corner kicks that he struggled to deal with but with luck on his side, Penicuik could not get the ball in the net. However, Penicuik deservedly equalised in the 27th minute when, following another corner kick, the ball was only partially cleared to the edge of the penalty box where McPartlin cleverly chipped the ball over the Tayport defence to ROXBURGH who coolly guided the ball past Ross into the net. With Tayport confined to the occasional quick break from defence, Penicuik maintained the pressure, but could not get past a resolute Tayport defence. Half Time: Penicuik 1 Tayport 1 One minute into the half, Penicuik attacked through the middle, but Millar's strike sliced a yard wide of the keeper's left hand post. At the other end, a McPhee cross to the back post was struck first time by Rollo, but his effort went well wide of the target. Then in the 56th minute, a freak goal gave Tayport the lead. ROLLO  struck a cross into the Penicuik penalty box that deceived everyone and bounced into the back of the net. Two minutes later, Penicuik came close when a Millar header just drooped over the crossbar.  Shortly afterwards, another penetrating cross by McPhee picked out Rollo at the back post, but his header went over the bar. In the 69th minute, Penicuik were denied by the woodwork when a header off a Gay corner  kick struck the post and was then kicked off the line. Six minutes later, the woodwork again came to the rescue for Tayport when Millar's header hit the post and rebounded straight into the arms of keeper Ross. In Penicuik's next attack, keeper Ross pulled off a great double save tom deny the home side. In the 86th minute, substitute Montgomery sent over an inch perfect cross for Barr to head, but again keeper Ross pulled out a great save. One minute later, Roxburgh on the left wing showed great determination to win the ball on the Tayport goal line, drive to the edge of the box and slide the ball into the penalty spot, but no Penicuik player could stretch to get a boot to the ball and the danger was cleared. One final chance in injury time fell to McDermott, but he dragged his volley just wide of the goal. Penicuik through everything except the kitchen sink at the Tayport defence, but the woodwork and keeper Ross conspired to deny them at least a point that they fully deserved. Final Score: Penicuik 1 Tayport 2