Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Newburgh vs Penicuik 13.4.13 Penicuik Athletic
Fife & Lothians Cup
Newburgh 5 Penicuik 3 Newburgh: Houston, Ferguson, Reddington, Gurnyn, Gray, McLeish, Lennie, Finlay, Tolleth, Hynd Subs: Kirby, Hood, MacKain, McAdam Gow Penicuik: McLeod, Cunnison, Thomson, Bunyan, Kerr, Gay, L Barr, K Barr, Patterson, Roxburgh, Montgomery Subs: Cameron, Riley, McDermott, Ryrie, Meikle Referee: Mr C Carrick The home side started brightly with Penicuik slow out the blocks. And in the 11th minute, McLeod was at full stretch to tip a Newburgh free kick over the crossbar. Newburgh deservedly went ahead in the 15th minute when TULLETH rifled home a twenty five yard free kick.  One minute later they almost doubled their lead when a corner kick was headed down and although Davidson got his boot to the ball, it went narrowly past the upright. In the 26th minute, Penicuik levelled the scoring when Roxburgh set up PATTERSON who turned quickly to slot the ball past Houston. Minutes later after some determined endeavour by Patterson, he was unlucky to see Houston nip the ball off his toe. In the 40th minute, Roxburgh was inches away from connecting to a Patterson cross, but the danger was cleared. Half Time: Newburgh 1 Penicuik 1 Six minutes into the half, a ball out of defence by Penicuik picked out Patterson who got past his man, but his strike from a tight angle hit the side netting.  Then a long clearance by keeper Houston was gathered by Tulleth who set up Lennie, but his effort flew high over the bar. In the 68th minute, a harsh booking for Bunyan saw the resulting free kick blasted well wide of the goal. Penicuik took the lead in the 70th minute when MONTGOMERY slammed the ball home at the second attempt after McDermott's free kick was only partially cleared. Three minutes later, Penicuik doubled their lead when KERR headed home a McDermott corner kick at the back post. Penicuik now looked comfortable in possession and controlling the game, but nobody was prepared for what happened in the final ten minutes. LENNIE pounced at a corner kick in the 80th minute to pull the deficit back to one. Then a dreadful mistake by Cunnison when he tried to chest the ball back to McLeod in goal, but left the ball woefully short of the keeper, let TULLETH nip in to level the score. Things went from bad to worse for Penicuik in the 86th minute when McLEISH gave the home side the lead with a thunderous strike into the top corner of the net. The game was put to bed three minutes later when a quick break from defence saw Tulleth's header set up McLEISH who drew McLeod from goal and slotted the ball into the far corner of the net. Immediately afterwards, Montgomery hit the bar for Penicuik, but the ball was thumped clear.  All credit to the home side for not giving up and scoring four goals in nine minutes. However, Penicuik will have to ask a number of questions about their defensive frailties. Final Score: Newburgh 5 Penicuik 3