Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik vs Glenrothes 30.2.13 Penicuik Athletic
Penicuik 2 Glenrothes 0 Penicuik: Bald, Thomson, Kerr, Meikle, Bunyan, McPartlin, Gay, K Barr, Killin, Patterson McDermott Subs: Roxburgh, L Barr, Montgomery, Reid Glenrothes: Roberts, Napier, Moffat, Carstairs, Kinness, Gay, Anderson, McKie, Shaw, Celentano, Murray Subs: Henry, Newbiggins, Dolan, Small Referee: Mr Allan Spalding The visitors started briskly and Shaw was allowed to drive in on goal unchallenged in the second minute, but Bald got down well to smother the striker's shot. Two minutes later, Glenrothes had a great chance to open the scoring when a Celentano cross was struck wide by Shaw when it seemed easier to score.  Then at the other end, McDermott beat Napier but his cross was just missed by McPartlin, and the next strike was turned away for a corner by keeper Roberts. In the 10th minute, a long pass by Barr picked out Patterson who saw his strike beaten out by Roberts and the rebound headed back into his arms by Moffat. However,  Penicuik took the lead in the 17th minute when a superb diagonal cross by McDermott picked out Killin on the right. His tenacity on the ball saw him get past his marker and cross the ball to the front post where PATTERSON nipped in to slide the ball home. Immediately afterwards, Celentano tried an overhead kick, but his effort went wide of the target. In the 20th minute, Shaw struck a cross come shot that looped over Bald in goal, but came back off the post. The rebound was blasted high and wide of the goal. Minutes later the same player was set free on the right only to see his cross beat Bald and glance off the crossbar and cleared.  Then at the other end a Thomson strike from twenty five yards flashed just wide of the post. In Penicuik's next attack, Barr saw his strike flash narrowly past the upright.  On the half hour a long range effort by Anderson was comfortably saved by Bald. Penicuik doubled their lead in the 36th minute when KILLIN smashed the ball home from twelve yards. Half time: Penicuik 2 Glenrothes 0 Glenrothes upped the pace of their game from the star of the second half, and in the 51st minute, a McKie shot went narrowly past the post. One minute later, a Penicuik free kick was headed on, but the ball was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Roberts. Then in the 55th minute, Thomson for Penicuik was red carded for a two footed tackle and for the second time in two games, the home side were reduced to ten men and defending a two goal lead. McPartlin was moved from midfield to right full back to cover the sending off, allowing Glenrothes more room in the midfield. The visitor's lead up play was working well, but their final ball in the last third let them down badly.  Whilst they probably had the bigger share of possession, Penicuik looked the more likely to score. In the final ten minutes of the game, Penicuik had two good opportunities to score, but last gasp tackles and the lack of clinical finishing saw the  score remain at 2-0.