Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Forfar West End vs Penicuik 13.4.13 Penicuik Athletic
East of Scotland Cup
Forfar West End 1 Penicuik 3 Forfar West End - Peters, Bartlett, Donaldson, McKenzie, McDonald, Black, Ramsay, Taylor, Scott, Irons, Cox. Subs - Johnstone (GK), Garrick, Hart, McBride & Mullen. Penicuik Athletic - McLeod, Cunnison, Kerr, Meikle, Bunyan, McPartlin, Gay, K Barr, Patterson, Killin, McDermott. Subs - Roxburgh, L Barr & Montgomery. Referee - Steven Traynor Penicuik travelled to Forfar for this twice postponed East of Scotland Cup tie against MacBookie North Division West End, back in playing mode this season after difficulties in 2011-12. On a bright but breezy day there was a minutes silence, prior to kick off, for Allen Bryce, ex East Region Secretary who passed away during the week. The home side started brightly, playing with energy and passing the ball well and Penicuik were struggling to get to grips with them, and with 7 minutes on the clock the home side came close to scoring  when an Irons header from a corner was headed off the line by McPartlin. The visitors were forced into early changes as first Meikle pulled up with a hamstring injury to be replaced by Montgomery, and minutes later followed by Killen who had taken a knock on his knee being replaced by Roxburgh. Penicuik's first real chance came in the 23rd minute after good interplay between Montgomery and Patterson, giving McPartlin an opportunity from 18 yards out which was blocked by the home defence. The home side continued to push forward without creating any clear cut chances to test McLeod in the Penicuik goal until the 33rd minute when a long ball down the left flank found Scott in space and he had time to cut the ball back to IRONS who slotted past McLeod. As Penicuik tried to get a foot hold in the game the home side were dealt a blow in the 39th minute when McDonald was given his marching orders for a kick at Patterson. Cuikie started to move the ball better with the man advantage and as injury time approached a Montgomery strike from the 15 yards out on the left struck the right hand post and broke to the edge of the box where Barr laid the ball into the path of ROXBURGH whose strike from the edge of the box flew into the top corner. Half time: Forfar 1 Penicuik 1 Despite having ten men, the home side continued to push forward and with 50minutes on the clock a brave defensive header from Bunyan fell to Taylor at the edge of the box but his shot crashed off the bar, and five minutes later McLeod did well to parry a shot at the near post from Cox. Penicuik were starting to get a grip in the middle of the park with Gay more prominent on the ball, and a penalty claim after a foul on Roxburgh was denied closely followed by a Patterson snap shot just going over the bar. Forfar were sitting deep and looking to hit Cuikie on the break but neither side were creating any real chances. The visitors grabbed the lead in 77 minutes when ROXBURGH chested the ball down just inside the box and volleyed superbly into the top corner. The home side responded and Scott had a shot held by McLeod. Five minutes later the game was put beyond the reach of the spirited home side when Roxburgh burst into the box and was brought down and, after a 'delay', skipper GAY stepped up and scored from the spot. Cunnison became the visitors only entry in the referees note book for a clumsy foul in the middle of the park before Lewis Barr replaced Keith Barr with 7 minutes remaining. There was time for a well hit Montgomery free kick to take a deflection and be collected by the home keeper, and a Roxburgh burst into the box to be thwarted by Peters again. Just on the final whistle the home side missed a glorious opportunity as Hart, from inside the six yard box managed to clear the bar by the proverbial mile.  A good competitive cup tie, played in a good spirit finished with Penicuik winners by 3-1 and an away tie against fellow Premier League Ballingry the prize!.
My thanks to Andy Penman for the match report and to John Crawford for the match photos