Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Edinburgh United vs Penicuik 25.8.12 Penicuik Athletic Match Report Match Report
Edinburgh United 1 Penicuik 4 Edinburgh United: Cadger, Kerr, Thomson, Finnie, Fraser, Shave, Collins, Mitchell, Maygan, Oswald, Blair Subs: McVey, Blake, Smith, Lees Penicuik: Haldane, Cunnison, McDermott, Meikle, Kerr, Bonthrone, McPartlin, Gay, Patterson, Trialist, Knight. Subs: Millar, Roxburgh, Elliot, Barr, Reid Referee: Mr D Doig Penicuik continued on their winning ways against Edinburgh United in the final game of the League Cup, but at a cost. Dougie Cunnison was taken to hospital with a bad ankle injury during the first half. In the opening minute of the game, Penicuik should have taken the lead when a perfectly weighted cross by Gay was missed by Patterson in the six yard box. Two minutes later, again down the right wing,  a McPartlin cross was deflected past the post for a corner. However, Penicuik took the lead in the 7th minute when a McDERMOTT corner kick deceived the United defence and ended up in the back of the net, much to everyone's surprise. Minutes later the Edinburgh defence was at full stretch to block two strikes on goal. Penicuik continued to dominate possession and pressure, but in the 31st minute were almost caught out and only a last ditch tackle deflected an Edinburgh shot over the bar. From the corner to the back post, Blair rose above the Penicuik defence, but failed to direct his header on target. Immediately afterwards, a neat passing move between McDermott, Bonthrone and Knight was thwarted by keeper Cadger. In their next attack,  Barr set up Patterson. He rounded the keeper only to see the ball come back off the post and cleared. Then in the 36th minute, PATTERSON got the better of his marker and curled the ball past Cadger into the far corner of the net. In the 43rd minute, PATTERSON doubled his tally when he slotted home a header by the Penicuik trialist. Half Time: Edinburgh 0 Penicuik 3 Six minutes into the half and Edinburgh attacked up the left with a promising move, but the strike on goal went straight into the arms of Haldane. One minute later, Patterson was denied his hat trick by Cadger who stretched out a leg to block his shot on goal. Then a surging run by McDermott took him past three defenders before laying the ball off the Patterson, but his effort was comfortably saved by Cadger. Two minutes later, McDermott again took on the United defence, rounded the keeper only to see his strike cleared off the line by Kerr. In the 60th minute, Kerr was again the saviour of Edinburgh when he cut out a dangerous McDermott cross in the six yard box just before substitute Millar could get a boot to the ball. Then in the 68th minute, a United free, kick taken by Fraser, was headed home by substitute SMITH to get one back for the home side. Five minutes later, a delicate chip over the United defence set McPartlin free on the right. His first time cross was met by Millar, but the ball hit the crossbar and went over for a free kick. In the 80th minute, following a throw in to Edinburgh, Maygan turned his marker, but his attempt flew over the bar.  In the final minute of the game, a Penicuik corner kick to the back post was headed home by MILLAR. Final Score: Edinburgh 1 Penicuik 4
League Cup
Match Report Match Report