Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Dunbar vs Penicuik 22.9.12 Penicuik Athletic
Dunbar 4 Penicuik 4 Dunbar United: J Thomson, G Thomson, Tait, Morgan, Gibb, McEwen, C Hill, S Hill, Jones, Young, Grant Subs: Lees, Glynn, Purves, Watson, Catt Penicuik Athletic: Haldane, McPartlin, Bunyan, Reid, Kerr, Gay, Killin, Elliot, Patterson, Paliczka, Roxburgh Subs: Barr, Millar, Montgomery, Knight Referee: Mr Scott Millar On a perfect day for football, New Countess Park was the venue for the 1st round of the Fly Emirates Scottish Junior Cup against hosts Dunbar United.  Four minutes into the game and Paliczka lost possession in midfield but Haldane was well placed to save the strike on goal. Then in the 8th minute Penicuik attacked up the left but Roxburgh saw his shot tipped onto the post by keeper Thomson. Patterson gathered the rebound, cut the ball back leaving keeper Thomson stranded, but Paliczka scuffed his shot and the advantage was lost.  Three minutes later, Penicuik took the lead when a GAY free kick completely deceived Thomson and curled into the net at the near post. In the 20th minute, Dunbar's Gibb was booked for a late tackle. From the free kick, Thomson got down well to save Kerr's strike on goal. Five minutes later, Paliczka tried an audacious 25 yard lob that beat keeper Thomson but went narrowly wide of the target. On the half hour the home side equalised when, following a free kick that was parried away by Haldane, YOUNG slammed the loose ball into the roof of the net. However, Penicuik regained the lead in the39th minute when minute PALICZKA slotted home through the legs of Thomson after being set up by Patterson. Then within two minutes, Dunbar were level again when Penicuik's defence was posted missing at a corner kick and GIBB rose unchallenged to head past Haldane. Half Time: Dunbar 2 Penicuik 2 In the opening minute of the half, following a corner to Penicuik, Killin had a great chance but headed the ball high over the bar. In the 51st minute a Paliczka strike was blocked and substitute Barr's diving header went just wide of the goal. Four minutes later, Dunbar took the lead for the first time when Hill drove at the Penicuik defence and set up GRANT who finished off the move in style, giving Haldane no chance. One minute later, Barr crossed the ball into the six yard box where Paliczka struck the ball first the, but Thomson pulled off a magnificent one handed save to somehow turn the ball over the bar. In the 58th minute a superbly struck long range effort by Hill was well held by Haldane. In Penicuik's next attack keeper Thomson made a timely intervention to cut out a dangerous Barr cross. Immediately afterwards, Thomson again was alert to the danger, this time intercepting a Montgomery cross into the box. However, Penicuik equalised in the 66th minute when Barr laid the ball off to Montgomery who crossed the ball into the box. Keeper Thomson made a fantastic save off the strike on goal, but the ball fell to KILLIN who thumped the ball into the net from twelve yards. Penicuik's joy was short live because in the 71st minute, YOUNG was allowed to run 30 yards unchallenged by the Penicuik defence and his left foot strike left Haldane rooted to the spot. The home side were now looking at a cup upset, but in the 79th minute, a quick throw in to Penicuik saw ROXBURGH turn, and from 25 yards, smash a rocket of a shot past Thomson into the far corner of the net. Minutes later, Barr had a chance to win the game, but his powerful strike flew just wide of the junction of the bar and post. Dunbar deserve great credit for their performance and must be gutted at not winning and having to go to Penicuik next week for the replay. Final Score: Dunbar 4 Penicuik 4
1st round Scottish Junior Cup