Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik vs Dalkeith 15.9.12 Penicuik Athletic
Penicuik1 Dalkeith 1 Penicuik: Haldane, McPartlin, Kerr, Meikle, Reid, Bonthrone, Gay, Barr, Paliczka, Millar, Roxburgh Subs: Knight, Montgomery, Killin, Patterson, McDermott Dalkeith: Combe, Gavin, Watters, J Hunter, Liddle, Murray, Morris, Richardson, Flynn, Fisher, McNaughton Subs: Haynes, Donlevy, Burston, Fell, M Hunter Referee: Mr Duncan Smith Newly promoted Dalkeith Thistle were the visitors to Penicuik Park for the third League fixture of the new season and came with a string of excellent results behind them.  Penicuik came close in the 7th minute when a Gay free kick flashed past Combe's right hand post. Immediately afterwards, a quick break down the right by Dalkeith saw a great diagonal ball pick out Fisher, but his attempt to curl the ball into the far corner also went narrowly past the post. In the 14th minute, Haldane came to Penicuik's rescue with a great one handed save to turn away a net bound header. In the 23rd minute, Dalkeith's Hunter was booked for an off the ball incident, but Kerr's free kick sailed high over the bar. Three minutes later, a good run by Paliczka set up Roxburgh, but his powerful shot went straight at keeper Combe.  Then a defence splitting pass by Barr set Millar up, but at the vital moment he stood on the ball and lost possession.  On the half hour, a long clearance by Haldane was allowed to bounce by the Dalkeith defence and Paliczka was inches away from stealing possession from Combe, but the keeper snatched the ball with only inches to spare. At the other end, a corner to Dalkeith was parried by Haldane, the ball was then played out left to McNaughton who struck for goal but his effort was comfortably saved by Haldane. In their next attack, Dalkeith came close when Fisher, looking suspiciously offside, saw his shot go inches wide of the target. In the final minutes of the half, Roxburgh had a chance, but again fired the ball straight at the keeper. Then, following two successive corners, to Penicuik, Kerr rose above the defence only to see his header crash back off the post and cleared. Half Time: Penicuik 0 Dalkeith 0 In the opening minute of the half, Dalkeith were awarded a free kick just outside the box when Morris was adjudged to be fouled by Reid. From the free kick, RICHARDSON blasted the ball past the defensive wall and into the bottom corner of the net giving Haldane no chance. In the 50th minute a corner to Penicuik was headed by Millar, but Combe was well placed to save. Ten minutes later, a flowing move involving substitute Patterson and Roxburgh came to nothing when the final ball went behind the in rushing Millar. In the 67th minute, Penicuik were awarded a penalty for hand ball in the box, and Hunter received a second yellow for one protest too many. However, the usually reliable Barr dragged the spot kick past Combe's right hand post. Shortly afterwards, the same player got past his marker on the right wing only to see his searching cross cut out by Combe. In their next attack, McPartlin sent over a low ball that was picked up by Patterson. He turned quickly, but his strike was well saved by Combe. In the 78th minute, a long Haldane clearance was flicked on by Millar to Patterson who struck for goal. The shot beat Combe, but the ball slid inches past the upright. In the 81st minute, Roxburgh was adjudged to have been pulled down by keeper Combe amid vehement protestations, but referee Smith stood firm. KERR converted the spot kick with aplomb. Two minutes later, a Barr lob was dropped by Combe, but just as the ball was about to cross the line, he managed to get a hand to the ball and the danger was cleared. In the 87th minute, Reid came to Penicuik's rescue when he cleared a shot off his goal line. Final result: Penicuik 1 Dalkeith 1