Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik vs Broughty Athletic 1.6.13 Penicuik Athletic
My thanks to Andy Penman for the match report and to John Crawford for the match photos the match photos
Penicuik Athletic: Trialist, Cunnison, McDermott, Meikle, Kerr, McPartlin, Gay, Barr, Roxburgh, Patterson, Montgomery Subs - Killin, Thomson, Millar, Reid, Bunyan Broughty Athletic: A Cormack, R Cormack, McKillen, Timmons, Kohler, M Brash, K Brash, Kelly, Myles, Allan, Plenderleith Subs - Burns, Bertie, Trialist Referee: Mr Gavin Thomson The curtain fell on season 2012/13 with Penicuik's first Premier League victory against Broughty at the sixth attempt. Penicuik made three changes to the team that won at Violet and Glenrothes, with McDermott, Kerr and Gay coming in for Thomson, Reid and Millar who all dropped to the bench. There was an air of hopeful expectation with promotion still a possibility at kick-off and Penicuik mounted several early attacks looking to get the opener. The first chance of note came after seven minutes, when a Gay cross from deep fell to Montgomery whose shot was blocked at the near post for a corner from which he blasted a shot well over. A minute later, the visitors' McKillen set up K Brash for a volley which was easily gathered by the Penicuik keeper.  Barr and McPartlin both shot wide either side of a good chance for Patterson in the 14th minute, who after controlling a Meikle ball over the defence, cut inside and shot, but M Brash slid in to block it. In the 18th minute Penicuik were awarded a penalty when Roxburgh was pulled down by M Brash while trying to get on the end of a Gay forward pass. PATTERSON stepped up and following a slight delay, during which keeper Cormack was booked, powered the ball below the goalkeeper into the bottom left corner to give Penicuik the lead. Ten minutes later the visitors moved the ball well down the left only to see Kelly's shot deflected into the arms of the trialist keeper. Patterson was next to show for Cuikie in the 31st minute as he went down the right but his cross across the box was just out of the reach of the inrushing Montgomery. With 35 minutes gone the lead was doubled when Patterson played Montgomery down the left, who drilled a low cross across the penalty area. Roxburgh's shot appeared to be cleared off the line by the keeper; however PATTERSON poked home his second, and his tenth goal in five games. Keeper Cormack was injured in the process and there was a lengthy stoppage as he received treatment. Two minutes later Roxburgh was fouled some 35 yards out and Kerr's free kick was spilled by Cormack but Patterson just failed to follow up. With 5 minutes left on the clock in the first half, a Broughty attack was broken up and a quick break by Patterson and Montgomery saw a great cross delivered across the six yard box but there were no takers. Half Time: Penicuik Athletic 2 - Broughty Athletic 0 The second half started with news that Armadale were still drawing at Dundee Violet, a result which would have kept Cuikie's promotion hopes alive. M Brash had replaced the injured Cormack in goal for the visitors and the crowd were looking for the home side to finish with a flourish. With 50 minutes on the clock Patterson beat Bertie easily but had his snapshot well saved by Brash, before Broughty had their best effort of the game as Plenderleith saw his shot fix narrowly past. The visitors were competing well and as the trialist home keeper flapped at a cross Meikle cleared the danger, before Kelly had a shot parried by the Cuikie custodian. With an hour on the clock the tempo of the game had dropped with goal attempts becoming rare and Brash in the visitors goal looked comfortable. Killen replaced Roxburgh in the 62nd minute, and then saw his attempt on goal five minutes later saved by Brash, before Millar replaced goal scorer Patterson.  With 72 minutes gone R Cormack for Broughty saw his shot well held, before Cuikie went to the other end from a long Cunnison pass which found Millar whose shot from 8 yards out was well saved. Cuikie made their final substitution of the season as Montgomery made way for Thomson as news filtered through that Armadale had taken the lead at Violet. The mood off the field matched the downbeat tempo on it and both sides brought the curtain down on the season with no further incident. Full Time: Penicuik 2 Broughty ASthletic 0