Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Bathgate vs Penicuik 2.4.13 Penicuik Athletic
Bathgate 1 Penicuik 4 Penicuik: Bald, Thomson, Kerr, Meikle, Bunyan, McPartlin, Gay, K Barr, Killin, Patterson McDermott Subs: Roxburgh, Cunnison, L Barr, Montgomery, Trialist Bathgate: Murphy, Scott, Byrne, Hogg, Leiper, Fallon, Livingstone, Andrioni, Brazil, McCulloch, Bonner Subs: Hannah, Clark, Hunter, McSween, Heffron Referee: Mr Duncan Williams Bathgate started the game at a high tempo and in the 4th minute came close when Livingstone's strike, come cross, flashed inches past Bald's right hand post. Minutes later, Bald had to be alert to dive low down to his left to save a Brazil strike. Bathgate continued to pressurise a stalwart Penicuik defence and Scott came close with a twenty five yard drive that whistled a yard wide of the upright. Penicuik gradually worked their way back into the game and Murphy pulled off a great reaction save to turn a Gay shot round the post for a corner. Then in the 36th minute, Penicuik should have taken the lead when McPartlin was set free with only Murphy to beat, but his right foot shot hit the woodwork and went past for a goal kick. However, Penicuik were not to be denied, an in the 39th minute a McDermott corner kick deep to the back post was headed back across goal where BUNYAN rose above the defence to head home powerfully. Three minutes later, a brave header by Meikle gave Barr the ball in midfield, and his superb diagonal pass picked out PATTERSON. His pace took him past his marker and he slotted the ball home into the far bottom corner of the net. The half finished with three consecutive corners to Bathgate, but the Penicuik defence held firm. Half Time: Bathgate 0 Penicuik 2 Bathgate again started the half with all guns firing and Hogg had an excellent opportunity to pull a goal back, but his header off a corner kick flew high over the crossbar. In the 51st minute, Killin was denied by a top drawer save by Murphy, turning his effort round the post for a corner. One minute later, a free kick to Bathgate just on the corner of the Penicuik penalty box was superbly struck by ANDRIONI giving Bald no chance. At the other end, a corner to Penicuik was headed net bound, by Meikle, but was cleared off the goal line. In their next attack, Penicuik's Killin flicked the ball onto substitute Roxburgh whose pace was causing the home defence problems. Keeper Murphy raced from goal blocked the shot, lost the ball and then grabbed it before Roxburgh could pounce.  Bathgate counter attacked quickly and the shot on goal was deflected away for a corner kick. In the 58th minute, Scott sent over a curling cross round the back of the Penicuik defence where two Bathgate forwards just failed to get a touch on the ball and the danger was cleared. In the 68th minute a long Penicuik thrown by Kerr found GAY in the six yard box. He got a touch to the ball and it trundled into the net to restore Penicuik's two goal lead. Penicuik now had their tails up and two successive corners had the home defence in a panic, but they came to nothing. In the 79th minute Penicuik put the game to bed when Roxburgh showed great determination and tenacity in battling through four tackles to strike for goal. His curling shot was parried out by Murphy, but GAY ran in from the right wing to slam the ball low and hard into the far corner of the net. In the 81st minute, Livingstone came close for Bathgate with a strike that went inches past Penicuik's right hand post. Then a quick counter attack saw a McDermott strike curl inches past the post with Murphy well beaten. Final Score: Bathgate 1 Penicuik 4