Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Ballingry vs Penicuik 4.5.13 Penicuik Athletic
East of Scotland Cup
Ballingry 5 Penicuik 2 Ballingry: Smith, Blackadder, Cameron, J Smart, Rattray, Moffat, Alexander, Mowat, Martin, C Smart, Linn Subs: McDowell, Byers, Morrison, Mart, Heggarty Penicuik: Bald, Thomson, McDermott, Reid, Cunnison, Roxburgh, Gay, Barr, Cameron, Patterson, Millar Subs: L Barr, Ryrie, Meikle, Bunyan, Killin Referee: Mr Jordan Stokoe A Penicuik side depleted by injuries and unavailable players took to the Ore Park pitch against Ballingry Rovers in the second round of the East of Scotland Cup. Penicuik took the lead in the 3rd minute when MILLAR saw his first effort blocked, but slotted home at the second attempt. Ballingry equalised ten minutes later when LINN volleyed home from 20 yards. In the 22nd minute, a powerfully struck Gay free kick was flicked on by Millar and bounced off Patterson but went narrowly past the upright. One minute later, despite loud claims for offside, Bald had to make a fine save low down to his right to deny Ballingry the lead. Minutes later, Bald was again in action, this time rushing from goal to block the ball at the feet of Smart. Danger man Linn had a chance shortly afterwards, but his finish lacked conviction and Bald saved comfortably. On the half hour, a long pass by Barr picked out Cameron who held up the ball, then laid it off to Roxburgh. He slipped the ball to MILLAR who coolly rounded keeper Smith to restore Penicuik's lead. At the other end a Ballingry corner kick was taken short to Linn who crossed to the back post where Mowat should have scored but his effort went across the face of the goal and the danger was cleared. Then Linn came close with a great strike that flashed a foot over the Barr. In the 41st minute the home side were level again when LINN saw his wind assisted 30 yard cross come strike swerve all over the place and hit the back of the net. Half time: Ballingry 2 Penicuik 2 Three minutes into the half and Smart had a chance for the home side, but his header went wide of the target. In the 58th minute, a Linn free kick from the left edge of the Penicuik penalty box was tipped away by Bald for a corner kick. In the 60th minute, Gay was fouled in the middle of the park, but referee Stokoe awarded the free kick to Ballingry. They took the free kick quickly but the referee stopped play to book McDermott for dissent. He then awarded a free kick to Ballingry on the edge of the penalty box where he had booked McDermott. HEGARTY scored from the free kick much to the consternation of the Penicuik players. Five minutes later, a flowing move down the right was finished off by CAMERON to give the home side a comfortable lead. With Ballingry now upping the pace of the game and the visitors clearly tiring, danger man Linn came close with a curling strike that went just wide of the goal. One minute later, Bald had to rush from goal to prevent Smart scoring and did enough to rush his strike that went high over the bar. At the other end, another well timed pass by Barr set Roxburgh free on the right, but his cross was partially cleared and fell to Millar who saw his strike hit the side netting. In the 75th minute the game was put to bed when substitute Byers set up McDOWELL to score. It could be argued that referee Stokoe's controversial free kick was the turning point in the game, but realistically, Ballingry probably would have won the game without his assistance as the much weakened Penicuik side were struggling to cope with the pace of the game. Final Score: Ballingry 5 Penicuik 2