Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik vs Ballingry Rovers 6.10.12 Penicuik Athletic
My Thanks to John Fraser for the match report and to Tony Graham for the photographs Penicuik 0 Ballingry 3 Penicuik Athletic: Logan, Millar, Bunyan, Cunnison, Kerr, McPartlin, Killin, Barr, Roxburgh, Paliczka and Montgomery. Subs: Gay, Elliot, Reid, Bonthrone, SG/K Haldane. Ballingry Rovers: Allison, Hegarty, Graham, Smart, Rattray, Cameron, Gibson, Mowat, Martin, Smart and Linn. Subs. O'Reilly, McDowell, Morrison, Moffat and Alexander.. Referee; Mr R Gordon Penicuik rang the changes yet again, introducing new goalkeeper Greg Logan and fielding Craig Millar at right back with James McPartlin taking up a midfield role to replace Ryan Gay who had turned up feeling unwell. Chris Hegarty who had been chosen in Scotland's Junior international squad for today's international against the Republic of Ireland had pulled out due to work commitments, took his place in the Ballingry defence. Craig O'Reilly who left Penicuik for Ballingry in the close season was on the bench for the visitors. Penicuik were first to show when a dangerous cross from Montgomery with the outside of his boot was deflected for a corner. Millar headed Montgomery's corner past the post. Ballingry replied through danger man Linn's cross but Martin's effort went wide. In the ninth minute good play between Roxburgh and the lively Paliczka saw the latter's crisp drive go narrowly past. The home team were on top and Paliczka and Killin combined to send Roxburgh running clear with only Allison to beat. However, in attempting to round the keeper he took the ball too wide and missed the target with his parting shot. Roxburgh again shot past when McPartlin and Killin had combined to create the opening. Cunnison was penalised for a challenge on Smart but Cameron's deep free kick from a dangerous position was cleared. Penicuik broke quickly up the park but Montgomery was judged to have pulled Hegarty back and the move broke down with Ballingry exposed. In the twenty ninth minute Smart, back helping his defence handled as Penicuik piled on the pressure. Barr's free kick found Millar's head but was blocked by the visitor's defence. Unfortunately when the ball was cleared back to him, Millar blazed his effort over the bar. Paliczka found space on the right but there were no takers when his cross came over the face of the goal.  Allison then blundered fluffing a clearance straight to Paliczka who laid the ball into Barr's path. Barr's powerful shot from the edge of the area was deflected for a fruitless corner as Penicuik could not make the break through their play had merited. Penicuik paid a heavy price in the thirty fifth minute when a Hegarty free kick was only partially cleared as far as Cameron. When he returned the ball into the penalty area SMART was first to react as the  Penicuik defence hesitated and he netted to put the league leaders in front. The home team went straight up the park and claims for a penalty for a handball from a Roxburgh shot were turned down. Killin hit the rebound wide. With Penicuik up the park, Hegarty found LINN with a long cross field pass and Ballingry's top scorer took the ball inside and fired a right foot shot low past Logan to double the visitor's lead.  A shell shocked Penicuik must have left the field at half time wondering what had happened with Ballingry delighted to be in the lead Half Time: Penicuik Athletic 0 v 2 Ballingry Rovers Penicuik again started on the front foot and a Paliczka cross from the right was missed by Allison but Killin just failed to get a touch as the ball ran across the front of the goals. Roxburgh, was replaced by Gay with Millar moving up front to take on the physically imposing Ballingry defence. In the sixty third minute a short Gay corner was swung over by Montgomery but Kerr shot past from the deep cross. Ballingry's experience was showing as they coped with all Penicuik's efforts and were rerwarded in the sixty fifth minute. Substitute McDOWELL who had come on for Martin collected a long ball out of defence and lobbed the ball past the advancing Logan into the empty net. The goal stood despite loud appeals for off side.  Logan was injured as he collided with McDowell and was eventually replaced by Haldane. Paliczka shot past despite claims for off side from a Millar pass and Smart joined Hegarty in the referee's notebook for dissent. Penicuik looked vulnerable when Ballingry attacked and Linn curled a left foot shot wide. Bonthrone was brought on for Montgomery and former Penicuik favourite O'Reilly was brought on for the last ten minutes by the visitors. Linn had a final chance but shot past as the Penicuik defence shouted for offside. An experienced Ballingry outfit returned home with all three points and will be difficult to shift from the top of the league if their performance at Penicuik is anything to go by. Result: Penicuik Athletic 0 v 3 Ballingry Rovers.