Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick Penicuik 0 Newtongrange 0 Penicuik: Bald, Cunnison, McDermott, Meikle, Reid, Gay, Brigain, Barr, Roxburgh, O'Reilly, Knight Subs: Thomson,  Draper, Smith, Ryrie, Killin, McPartlin,Haldane Newtongrange: Amos, Swaney, Forbes, Donnelly, Tolmie, Meaney, Graham, Gillon, Forster, King, Cherrie, Subs: MacDonald, Beattie, Turner, McManus, Hutchison, Dunbar, O.Connor Referee: Mr Gavin Thomson The game started at a frantic pace, and Newtongrange were the first to threaten when, in the 2nd minute, Meaney broke down the left wing and sent over a searching cross that was headed clear for a corner. From the corner, the ball was headed narrowly over the bar. Three minutes later, Meaney again caused problems up the left, cut inside and tried to chip Bald but the keeper got a hand to the ball to turn it away for a corner kick. From the corner, the ball was headed clear to the edge of the box and the return strike went inches past the post. Newtongrange were piling on the pressure and Brigain gave away a free kick just outside the Penicuik penalty box. Forster drove the ball throught the defensive wall, but Bald was well placed to save. Penicuik defended well and weathered the early storm by the visitors and gradually got themselves back in the game, but for the remainder of the half neither side could penetrate either defence and the half ended goalless. Penicuik 0 Newtongrange 0 Three minutes into the half, and a corner to Penicuik was cleared to the edge of the box where Knight picked up the ball, drove in on goal only to see his strike go inches past the junction of the bar and post. In the 55th minute a Penicuik free kick, taken by Gay, beat the defensive wall, but Amos dived low down to save. Then from Amos’s clearance, Meaney, who was causing problems for the home side, beat Cunnison but his strike flew over the crossbar. Three minutes later, Forbes broke down the left and set up King, but his effort went high and wide of the target. In the 65th minute, a Penicuik corner fell to Brigain. He volleyed the ball first time and the ball struck the defender’s arm, taking the sting out of the shot, thus allowing keeper Amos to gather comfortably. However referee Thomson waved away Penicuik’s claims. Ten minutes later, a Penicuik free kick taken by Thomson, crashed back off the underside of the bar and was cleared. In the 87th minute, Bald was brought into action to save a strike by King and then right on full time, a lovely through ball by Barr split the visitor’s defence, but Roxburgh’s strike went over the bar. Three minutes into injury time and Penicuik were saved by the woodwork when Graham saw his effort hit the crossbar and cleared. Final score: Penicuik 0 Newtongrange 0
Click here to view video