Website designed and maintained by Website4u Match Sponsor: John Masson, Heads Two Hair Salon Match Ball Sponsor: The Peni Deli
Penicuik 2 Rangers 1 Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, McDermott, Meikle, Reid, Gay, McPartlin, Barr, Killin, Brigain, Knight Subs: Leighfield, Munro, Smith, Draper, Walker, Newman Rangers: Smith, McNeil, McIntyre, Wilson, Wiktorski, Hunter, Fotheringham, Crawford, Trialist, Werndly, Marenghi  Subs: Currie, McGregor, Wyllie, Aird, Trialist Billy Kirkwood brought his young, talented U/19s squad to Penicuik Park for Penicuik’s opening friendly of the new season and must have been disappointed to lose a highly entertaining game of football. Penicuik attacked straight from the whistle and a well struck shot by Gay went just wide of the right hand post. In the 7th  minute, Penicuik lost possession in their own half allowing Rangers to drive in on goal, but Bald rushed out to block the shot for a corner. The corner was taken quickly and Bald again had to be alert to cut out the ball into the box.  In their next attack, McNeil curled in a dangerous cross that Crawford was inches away from reaching but Bald was well placed to gather.  One minute later, Bald was in action again, saving a long range strike by Werndly. In the 16th minute, McPartlin on the right wing sent over a low cross into the penalty box where both Brigain and Killin just failed to get a touch on the ball and the danger was cleared. Then in the 23rd minute, keeper Smith had to rush from goal to nip the ball off Brigain’s toe.  One minute later, keeper Smith was at full stretch to tip a Gay strike past the post for a corner. From the corner the ball was headed back in to the danger area where Killin got his header on target but Smith saved comfortably. Rangers then broke quickly from defence and Hunter saw his powerful strike flash narrowly past the post with Bald beaten. In the 28th minute, Knight laid the ball into the path of Brigain, but his shot went well wide of the target.  On the half hour, Rangers had a great chance to score when McNeil sent over a cross into the box, but the Ranger’s trialist somehow managed to hit the ball high over the bar from ten yards. Half Time: Penicuik 0 Rangers 0 Penicuikm opened the scoringthree minutes into the half when McPartlin got past his marker only to be brought down in the box, and RYAN GAY slotted home from the penalty spot.  In the 52nd minute, Penicuik were on the attack again and the ball was switched to the left where Knight cut inside and let fly, but the ball went narrowly past the post. Three minutes later, Penicuik attacked up the right and the ball was crossed into the box where Meikle headed the ball downwards, only to see it bounce inches past the keeper’s right hand post. Minutes later, a silly free kick on the edge of the box was given away by Penicuik, but fortunately for them the ball flew over the crossbar. In the 62nd minute, a slick passing move by Rangers ended with a poorly struck shot by substitute McGregor that was comfortably dealt with by Bald. Then Fotheringham had a go from long range that was again easily dealt with by Bald in goal. Immediately afterwards, Rangers broke down the left and the low ball into the box was back heeled by Werndly, but came back off the upright and cleared. In the 71st minute, Penicuik were on the attack and substitute Walker tuned Wiktorski beautifully and fired off a left foot shot. Smith failed to hold the ball and substitute GERRY DRAPER rushed in to slot the ball past Smith to double Penicuik’s lead.  Three minutes later, the woodwork came to Penicuik’s rescue again when a well struck shot crashed back off the crossbar. With Rangers pressing hard to get back in the game, they were caught short at the back and Smith should have scored after being set up by Killin, but he dragged his strike wide of the target. Then a pinpoint free kick gave Walker the chance to increase Penicuik’s lead, but his header sailed over the bar. In the 86th minute, ANTHONY MERANGHI did the unexpected and fired off a thunderous 30 yard strike that screamed into the top left hand corner of the net for the goal of the game.  One minute later, Bald made a double save to deny Rangers.  Then a swift break from defence caught out Rangers. Walker flicked then ball on to Killin who set up Smith, but he somehow contrived to hook the ball over the bar when it seemed easier to score.  In Penicuik’s next attack, McPartlin won the ball just inside the Rangers half, and laid the ball off the Killin. His neat pass picked out Walker, but only a last gasp tackle prevented a third goal for the Cuikie. An excellent performance by Penicuik in a highly entertaining game. Final Score Penicuik 2 Rangers 1