Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick Newtongrange 1 Penicuik 2   Newtongrange Star: O'Connor, McManus, Forbes, Woodburn, Donnely, Tolmie, Cherrie, Gillon, Graham, Hutchison, Turner Subs: McDonald, Beattie, Dunbar, Shaney, Forster, Doherty, Amos Penicuik: Bald, Cunnison, McDermott, Meikle, Reid, McPartlin, Knight, Barr, Thomson, Smith, Draper Subs: Roxburgh, Martin, O'Reilly, Brigain, Gallagher, Haldane. Referee: Mr Ralph Gordon  A 57th minute strike by James McPartlin won Penicuik three well earned  points at Victoria Park, Newtongrange. The Star started by far the better side and could have been two goals up within the first ten minutes but poor finishing let them down. Right from the kick off Newtongrange went on the attack and Graham set up Turner but his strike went past the post. Then Hutchison tried to curl a shot into the far corner of the net, but his strike just went narrowly wide of the target. In the 6th minute, a Newtongrange free kick was headed past the post by Donnely when it seemed easier to score. However, it was Penicuik who took the lead with an own goal in the 15th minute when a clearance rebounded off the unfortunate McMANUS and flew past his own keeper. Shortly afterwards Penicuik had a strong claim for a penalty turned down by referee Gordon. Penicuik gradually settled after the goal and, on the half hour, following a corner to Penicuik, Cunnison saw his glancing header flash inches past the upright. In the 44th minute, a flowing move by Penicuik up the left wing allowed Smith a strike on goal, but he dragged his effort past the keeper's right hand post. Half time: Newtongrange 0 Penicuik 1  Into the second half and Newtongrange equalised in the 47th minute when TURNER broke free from his marker and his strike gave Bald no chance. In the 54th minute, a poor clearance by the Penicuik defence saw a powerful shot brilliantly held by Bald. Then in the 54th minute, another strike by Turner beat Bald but came back off the base of the post and cleared. Shortly afterwards, Bald was again in action saving a Graham shot. Penicuik regained their lead in the 57th minute when a Conor Thomson cross was rifled home by McPARTLIN from 15 yards. In the 71st minute, McPartlin struck a shot from the edge of the box, but O'Connor saved comfortably. Two minutes later, a dangerous McDermott cross was flicked on by Knight, but it took the ball out of the reach of Roxburgh who was rushing in at the back post. In the 82nd minute, Dunbar attacked up the right for Newtongrange, cut the ball back, but the shot was easily covered by Bald. Penicuik continued to look comfortable with their defence solid and only once in the dying minutes of the game did Newtongrange have a chance, but substitute Beattie hit the side netting. Just before the final whistle Roxburgh for Penicuik was inches away from slotting home a McPartlin cross Final Score: Newtongrange 1 Penicuik 2

Please Install The Flash Player