Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik 2 Lothian Thistle 1 Penicuik: Bald, Cunnison, Draper, Meikle Reid, McPartlin, Smith, Barr, Walker, Brigain, Roxburgh Subs: Knight, Gallagher, Ryrie Lothian Thistle: Swain, Dignan, Hay, Kelly, Stevenson, Lee, Hawkins, Crawford, Fisher, Wallace, Murray Subs: Butler, Georgeson, McDonaugh, Rae, Ali Referee: Mr Simon McLean Lothian Thistle were the visitors to Penicuik Park for this final friendly warm up game before the League Cup commenced. On a warm and sunny day the first 20 minutes were evenly contested with neither side creating chances and neither keeper called into action until a Walker net bound strike was deflected away from the target by Brigain. On the half hour Bald had to be quick to rush from goal to deny Lothian. Then Roxburgh had a great chance when he was one on one with keeper Swain, but Crawford recovered well to crowd him out and the ball fell to Walker who saw his shot well saved by Swain. One minute later, a nice Penicuik move saw the ball crossed in behind the Thistle defence by Roxburgh, but Swain again pulled off a good save to deny Barr. In their next attack, Roxburgh for Penicuik sent over a testing cross that the defender headed on to the post and the ball bounced back into the arms of Swain. Two minutes later, a long ball out of defence caught out Lothian, but Roxburgh headed tamely into the keeper's arms. Just before half time, Fisher came close for Lothian when his powerful volley flashed over the crossbar. Half Time: Penicuik 0 Lothian Thistle 0  Three minutes into the second half and KEITH BARR, from just outside the box, converted a lovely curling free kick that bent round the defensive wall and in off the upright. In the 56th minute a neat move by Penicuik, saw Swain pull off a great one handed save to deny Walker. Ten minutes later Bald was in action to save a power full shot by Stevenson at the second attempt. Minutes later, a solo run from midfield by Knight culminated with a strike that flew narrowly over the bar. Then McPartlin had a chance, but his looping header was dealt with comfortably by Swain in. The Thistle were beginning to push Penicuik back into their own half and came close on a couple of occasions, keeping Bald alert in goal, but it was no surprise when the equaliser came in the 87th minute. JOE MURRAY ran off his marker at a corner kick to glance home a header at the front post. With everyone thinking a draw was going to be the end result, Penicuik were awarded a penalty kick in the 90th minute when Brigain was adjudged to have been brought down by keeper Swain, amid strong protests from the Lothian players. KEITH BARR doubled his tally with a well taken spot kick sending Swain the wrong way. With the friendly matches over, Penicuik now look forward to their opening game in the League Cup with a home tie against Pumpherston Juniors on Saturday 6th August.