Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik vs Broxburn 8.8.12 Penicuik Athletic Match Report Match Report
Penicuik 2 Broxburn 1 Penicuik: Haldane, Cunnison, McDermott, Meikle, Kerr, McPartlin, Gay, Barr, Millar, Patterson, Montgomery Subs: Bonthrone, Knight, Reid, Riley, Killin Broxburn: Clark, Roycroft, Gibson, Millar, Kiczynski, Pittman, Fairbairn, Morrison, Jeffrey, Tague, Young Subs: Martin, Martindale, Fairweather, Cowan, Maley. Referee: Mr Craig Ferguson Penicuik took on Broxburn for the opening League Cup fixture at Penicuik Park and the crowd were entertained to an excellent game of football in perfect conditions, except for the midges. Penicuik started brightly and had an early chance when Gay took a quick throw in that set Millar free, but he dragged his shot wide of the keeper's right hand post. However Penicuik took the lead in the 6th minute when a neat passing move between Gay, Millar and Cunnison saw Cunnison curl a cross around the Broxburn defence and PATTERSON dived in low to head home. Minutes later, Patterson had a great chance after a lovely cut back by Montgomery picked him out in the box, but he stumbled as he struck the ball and it flew high over the bar. Immediately afterwards, a defence splitting pass by Gay set up Patterson with only the keeper to beat, but Clark stuck out a foot to save. In the 19th minute, Meikle came to Penicuik's rescue when he headed away a net bound Broxburn strike for a corner kick. Then a Penicuik corner kick was headed back across goal by Meikle but Millar's volley flew high over the bar. In the 28th minute, MILLAR put the pressure on Kiczynski, dispossessed him and coolly rounded Clark to double Penicuik's advantage. Had Penicuik taken all the chances they had created, the game would have been over, but in the 36th minute, Broxburn pulled one back when JEFFREY slotted home after two previous attempts had been blocked. Half Time: Penicuik 2 Broxburn 1 Broxburn came out in the second half and moved into a different gear, pressing Penicuik into their own half, but it was centre half Kiczinski who showed the way to his own forwards when he won the ball in his own half, drove forward leaving Penicuik players in his wake only to see his strike tipped over the bar by keeper Haldane. In the 65th minute, against the run of play, Penicuik attacked down the right wing, and a high cross to the back post saw keeper Clark beaten by the flight of the ball. Barr rose to head the ball downwards powerfully, but when the ball bounced up, it hit the crossbar and was thumped clear. Then in the 76th minute, a free kick to Broxburn just outside the Penicuik penalty box was curled over the defensive wall, but it crashed back off the crossbar with Haldane beaten. Minutes later, a moment of controversy in the game when referee Ferguson red carded Broxburn's Young for alleged violent conduct.  The sending off took the sting out of Broxburn's game and Penicuik contained the visitors efforts until full time. Despite Broxburn's dominance throughout the second half, the Penicuik defence held firm preventing the visitors from creating any real chances. Final Score: Penicuik 2 Broxburn 1
League Cup
Match Report Match Report