Website designed and maintained by Jim Dick
Penicuik 6 2SCOTS 1 Penicuik Athletic were happy to host this charity match against Glencorse based 2Scots who have just returned to the base after a tour of duty in Afghanistan from October last year to April this year. The match was arranged to raise funds for soldiers injured in Afghanistan. Right from the kick off, Penicuik broke up the right where DEAN WALKER picked up a pass and somehow got past five defenders along the edge of the box to slot home in 30 seconds. In the 5th minute, 2Scots attacked the right and number 8 for 2Scots saw his powerful shot beat Newman but go inches wide of the upright. In the 12th minute, Roxburgh broke into the 2Scots penalty box only to be brought down by their keeper. KEITH BARR competently converted the spot kick. Three minutes later, a swift attack by 2Scots saw a strike by their number 7 whistle past Newman's left hand post. In the 24th minute, go work by Roxburgh set up Smith, but his effort was dragged wide of the target. Roxburgh then had a chance when he managed to flick the ball over the head of the keeper, but could not slot home from a tight angle. On the half hour 2Scots keeper did well to punch away a dangerous Roxburgh cross. The Walker had a great chance when one on one with the keeper who stood up well to force Walker into a pass that resulted in an offside decision. In their next attack, Roxburgh, who was causing problems for the 2Scots defence, set up Knight, but his strike was well saved by the keeper. In the 40th minute, a quick throw in allowed Draper to cross the ball to the back post and McPartlin headed it back into the box where DEAN WALKER pounced to head home from six yards. Half Time: Penicuik 3 2Scots 0 In the 53rd minute, a free kick to Penicuik was headed against the base of the post and the rebound was tapped home by DEAN WALKER for his hat trick. Immediately afterwards, Walker almost added to his tally when he was inches away from slotting home a delightful curling pass by Knight. However he was not to be denied and ten minutes later, Knight set him up again and this time, although the keeper got a hand to the ball he could not prevent WALKER scoring his fourth goal of the game. In the 71st minute, Knight again held up the ball well and passed the ball to the overlapping McDermott. His first time cross into the box again was almost met by Walker who was in full predator mode.  Then Roxburgh went on a solo run only to see his rasping shot tipped on to the post by the 2Scots keeper and past for a corner. All credit should be given to the 2Scots side who never gave up and their persistence was rewarded when Keeper Newman failed to cut out a long pass and was left stranded. The first strike on goal was blocked, but 2Scots number 11 made no mistake when he slammed the ball into the empty net from 18 yards. In their next attack, 2Scots gave keeper Newman a fright when a powerful strike whistled past the post. In the 82nd minute, Penicuik were awarded a second penalty, but Roxburgh's penalty kick was brilliantly saved by the keeper much to the cheers and applause of the crowd. One minute later came the goal of the game when McDermott passed to Roxburgh who flicked the ball on to Walker, who in turn threaded his pass through to ROXBURGH, who had continued his run and he slammed the ball into the back of the net from ten yards giving the keeper no chance. Final Score: Penicuik 6  2Scots 1