Website designed and maintained by Website4u Newtongrange 1 Penicuik 0 Newtongrange Star: O'Connor, Brown, Thompson, Woodburn, MCulloch, Hutchison, Sommerville, Cherrie, Meaney, McKenna and Roseburgh. Subs - Dunbar, Forbes, McNicol, Swanney, Sub G/K Carni Penicuik Athletic: Bald, Leighfield, McDermott, Meikle, McKay, Gay, Brigain, Barr, Harvey, Millar, Killin. Subs - Gallagher, Walker, Smith, Riley, Sub G/K Clark. Referee: Gavin Duncan. Assts: Paul Hanlon and Frank Campbell Pencuik were looking to continue with their run of good form in this competition after knocking out Super League giants Lochee United and Linlithgow Rose in earlier rounds as they visited Newtongrange in the semi final of the East of Scotland Cup. For their part, the home team were looking to impress their new management team and gain some consolation after their relegation to the Premier League  Newtongrange kicked off on a blustery evening with their backs to the pavilion but it was Penicuik who were first to show. Millar and Harvey combined to set up Killin but his shot was blocked allowing O'Connor to gather the ball comfortably. Hutchison, for the home team, dwelt on the ball in midfield and picked up a knock as Millar dispossessed him. Brigain passed up another opportunity for Penicuik before the visitors were shocked in the nineteenth minute as Newtongrange got what turned out to be the match winning goal. The Penicuik defence conceded a soft free kick and when the ball came over, prolific marksman GRANT MEANEY  was in splendid isolation to head the ball into the net past Billy Bald. Penicuik were clearly rattled as Newtongrange took great confidence from the goal. Billy Bald struggled to clear a dangerous Cherrie corner before the same player had a shot blocked by a scrambling defence. Roseburgh was prominent as he spread the ball around bringing both full backs into play as Newtongrange used the full width of the park. A foul on Killin brought some respite for the visitors but Gay's effort went high and wide. Leighfield was cautioned after half an hour for a challenge on Roseburgh who continued to sparkle. A minute later Harvey burst down the left and his cut back into the area was diverted by a defender with Millar poised to shoot. Former Penicuik player, Liam McKenna, was also involved in a lot of Newtongrange's best moves. Neither goalkeeper was tested as the half drew to a close with Newtongrange looking comfortable as they held on to their precious lead. Half Time: Newtongrange Star 1 v 0 Penicuik Athletic Penicuik who had been disappointing in the first half made great efforts in the second half to get back on level terms. Whether it was deliberate tactics or as a result of Penicuik's efforts, Newtongrange looked content to try and hit Penicuik on the break. Meikle and McKay stayed strong to repel any attacks and left keeper Bald with little to do. McDermott fired a free kick against the defensive wall and a Brigain shot was blocked for a corner. Meaney was replaced with eleven minutes of the half gone and Gallagher came on for Leighfield in the Penicuik ranks as play raged on. McKenna was seen for the first time in the second half when he was yellow carded for kicking the ball away as Penicuik were awarded a free kick. Hutchison was quite magnificent for Newtongrange as he sat in front of his defence breaking up several Penicuik attacks. Harvey was booked for remarks to the referee with twenty five minutes left as Penicuik's frustration was showing. The visitors had a narrow escape when a series of headers released McCulloch, now playing up front, but his first time lob dropped just over the bar. In the sixty ninth minute Gay was shown a yellow card for a midfield challenge with the Newtongrange supporters calling for his immediate dismissal. Two minutes later a Brigain shot screwed wide of O'Connor who had yet to be asked to make a save. Gay drove another fee kick high and wide after a foul on Harvey. O'Connor had a simple save from a Millar header and a net bound Millar drive struck one of his own players, diverting the ball to safety. With ten minutes remaining Newtongrange were reduced to ten men as Brown was shown a red card for remarks to the referee after he was penalised for a foul challenge on Killin, who took some time to recover. Penicuik could make nothing of the one man advantage as Smith replaced Killin. Penicuik's Millar then received a straight red card for a midfield tackle and Penicuik's last hopes went with him. Newtongrange held out to take their place in the final against North District team Dundee North End.  Full Time: Newtongrange Star 1 v 0 Penicuik Athletic My thanks to John Fraser for the match report (Semi Final East of Scotland Cup)