Website designed and maintained by Website4u My Thanks to John Fraser for the match report and photos 19.3.11   Lochee United 1 Penicuik Athletic 3 Lochee United: Ross, Abbott, McGuire, Hay, Thomson, Lawson, Cargill, Robertson, Gallagher, Voight and Hagen. Subs: Blackwood, Alexander, Pepper, Grant, Garcia, Kirk and Butters. Penicuik Athletic: Bald, Gallagher, McDermott, Meikle, McKay, Parkin, Gay, Riley, Harvey, Brigain and Killin. Subs: Smith, Barr, Leighfield, Lockhart and Walker Match Referee: Colin Duncan Penicuik travelled to Dundee to take on Super League team Lochee United to compete for a place in the quarter finals of the John Walker East of Scotland cup. After last week's match against Armadale fell victim to the heavy overnight snowfall, the weather was kinder on a good day for football. Lochee showed their hand early with some monster clearances from goalkeeper Ross and danger from set pieces through the left foot of Craig Robertson. However, throughout the game Craig Meikle and Brad McKay in the heart of the Penicuik defence stood up well to the ariel bombardment. In the thirteenth minute Parkin conceded a free kick in a dangerous position but Robertson's clipped effort sailed over the bar. In the home team's next attack a dangerous Robertson corner kick was headed clear by Meikle. Five minutes later following a Riley foul Robertson's effort from the free kick was easily held by Bald. As Penicuik settled, Ryan Gay enjoyed some success up the right wing but could not find the telling cross. A defensive header from under the crossbar conceded a corner kick from Gay's best effort yet.  Killin's header back across goal from Gallagher's kick was thumped clear. Penicuik were not to be denied and in their next attack Brigain found Gay in space on the right. He passed inside to the inrushing Harvey who squared the ball across to KILLIN who finished off a fine move in some style with the opening goal. A speculative shot high over the bar from Hagen was Lochee's reply before Penicuik returned to the attack. Brigain found Harvey in space in the penalty area and the Penicuik man's left foot effort slipped narrowly past Ross's left hand post with the goalkeeper a spectator. Robertson again showed his threat with another dangerous corner kick but the Penicuik defence coolly cleared the danger. Another Gay cross was turned out for a corner at the back post by Abbott with Killin poised for a tap in. The corner was cleared but it was not long before Gay was again testing Ross with a powerful drive. Six minutes before half time a Brigain run was stopped at the expense of another corner kick. Parkin's corner kick was headed only as far as HARVEY twelve yards out and his left foot volley on the drop flew past Ross to increase Penicuik's lead. Penicuik were now well on top and a great run by Killin from his own half was only halted on the eighteen yard line by a last ditch interception by Hay. Gay again found space on the right but his cross dropped just over the bar. Brigain went down under a robust Thomson challenge but was able to resume after lengthy treatment. With a minute to go before half time Meikle headed a Parkin free kick back across goal and Killin's drive went narrowly past. Penicuik went in for their half time orange after a fine all round first half performance Half Time: Lochee United 0 v 2 Penicuik Athletic Lochee enjoyed their best spell of the match after the restart with Meikle clearing an inswinging Robertson corner. Hagen had a strong run but his parting shot went over the bar. A Hay free kick into the heart of the penalty area was cleared as Lochee piled on the pressure. Lochee used their first substitute when they introduced Alexander and were rewarded when they pulled a goal back with fifty five minutes gone. The Penicuik defence failed to clear the ball away and when it came back in from the right McKay headed out for a corner kick. On this occasion, THOMSON headed Robertson's well delivered corner kick past Bald into the back of the net. Three minutes later another Robertson free kick went wide of the Penicuik goal. Penicuik came back strongly and Harvey was pulled up for offside when he was running clear on a Brigain pass. Brigain name was taken by the referee for his protests and Gay quickly followed him into the book for a foul. As Penicuik's midfield with Parkin and Riley linking well held the upper hand, Thomson was cautioned for blocking a Brigain run. A left foot drive by Harvey went well wide before the Penicuik forward burst clear in Penicuik's next attack. There were loud appeals for a penalty kick as Harvey went down from a tackle from behind but no award was given. Penicuik's goal keeping coach was sent out of the dug out for his protests to the referee. A netbound Meikle header from a Gallagher corner was headed out from under the bar for another corner. When Parkin's corner came over the home defence failed to clear and finally, Brigain slipped the ball through to HARVEY  coming in from the right and despite his right foot drive striking a Lochee defender, the ball found its way into the corner of the net to restore Penicuik's two goal advantage. In reply Hagen again shot over the bar before Penicuik were quickly back down the other end. Killin, Brigain and finally Gay all found themselves in space but could not get their shot away before finally, Gay's drive was turned out for a corner as Lochee wobbled again. The ball was deflected to the other side from Parkin's corner and Gay's cross back into the penalty area just eluded Harvey's out stretched leg. Blackwood then replaced Cargill but it was Penicuik who again came close. Ross pulled off the save of the match when he somehow blocked a close in Killin left foot shot. Alexander and Abbott were trying to bring Lochee back into things and good work by Abbott set up Hagen but it was not his day and this time he shot wide of the post. With three minutes remaining Ross just managed to tip a Brigain free kick past the post as Penicuik looked to increase their lead. A late spell of Lochee pressure was in vain. A Hay free kick was punched clear by Bald before Bald safely held a lob from Hay up supporting his attack. The last action of the game saw the alert Meikle clearing the ball from under the bar after Bald had failed to deal with a high ball in from Hay. After the game Penicuik's joint manager Craig Meikle said that he was pleased with the performance. "The defence was solid and the midfield worked so hard. We were also able to get numbers into attacking positions and I am delighted with the all round team performance" said Craig. His views were echoed by Bryan Ryrie who said that he did not bring on any substitutes as the players on the park were doing such a good job. Bryan said "We knew the players were well capable of a performance like that and they have to believe in them selves." Penicuik can now look forward to the quarter final draw.