Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs St Andrews 21.11.09
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, Steel, Lynch, Meikle, Kelly, Moonie, Coleman, Cole, Walker, Montgomery Subs: Barr, Korinek, Noon, Milne, Ramage, McKean


St Andrews United: Amos, Ramsay, Brash, Brown, Hegarty, Evans, Patrick, Maxwell, Sutherland Muhsin, Finlay Subs: Malone, Farquharson, Fraser, Dorward Davidson


Referee: Mr Alan Hogg

Penicuik 3 St Andrews 1

After an early pitch inspection the game went ahead amidst wild, wet and windy conditions despite which, the fans who braved the elements, were served up with an exhilarating game of football.


Penicuik got off to the perfect start in 90 seconds when a long clearance by keeper Bald caught out the Saints defence and GRAEME COLE turned his marker to slot the ball into the bottom corner of the net. However, The visitors were back on level terms in the 7th minute when a powerful shot was parried by keeper Bald, but fell to DAVID EVANS lurking at the back post and he had the easiest of tasks to tap the ball into the empty net. Penicuik took the setback in their stride and got control of the game, forcing St Andrews back in their own half. The pressure paid off in the 15th minute when a Gallagher corner kick was headed into his own net by STEPHEN HEGARTY. Two minutes later, following another corner to Penicuik, a rasping drive by Moonie was well held by Amos. In the 22nd minute, a flowing move down the right wing by Penicuik culminated with a Coleman header that went narrowly past the upright. Then another Gallagher corner kick caused panic in the Saints defence, when two strikes on goal were desperately blocked and cleared for yet another corner. From the corner DANNY KELLY got in ahead of his marker to head the ball into the back of the net. One minute into injury time, and a through ball caught Lynch on the wrong side of his man and as he broke away, Lynch pulled him back and was duly red carded for his misdemeanour. The free kick from just outside the penalty box was blocked by the defensive wall and the danger cleared.


Half Time: Penicuik 3 St Andrews United 1


St Andrews came out in the second half with all guns firing and if ever the cliché of a game of two halves was appropriate, then this was the case here. In the 47th minute, with the wind behind him, Finlay fired off a long range effort that was well covered by Bald in goal. Then Sutherland saw his quick turn and strike flash past the junction of the post and crossbar. In the 63rd minute, the same player was denied by Bald who was at full stretch to turn away his left foot strike. Two minutes later, a deep cross from the right was met by Evans, but his glancing header was well saved by Bald. With the pressure building on Penicuik, they were relieved to see a free kick beat the wall, but go inches past the post. In the 75th minute, a deep probing cross from the wing was tipped over the bar by Bald. Minutes later, Brash tied a long range effort that went well wide of the target. In a rare Penicuik attack, Coleman broke up the left wing, drove in on goal, but failed to hit the target. Immediately afterwards Bald was again in action to tip away a dangerous cross that was dipping under the crossbar. With minutes left, Sutherland had a great chance to pull one back for the Saints, but keeper Bald pulled off the save of the game when he dived full length to block the strike. The final action of the game saw Brash try another long range strike, but on this occasion it went high over the bar.


Full Time: Penicuik 3 St Andrews United 1

After the game Penicuik Manager Stuart McKean said, “I am delighted with the victory and extremely pleased with the way the team played and the effort every one of the players put in. I couldn’t argue with the sending off and the whole of the second half was a case of digging in, defending well and we did that to get our reward”. St Andrews Manager Jim Hardie said, “I am disappointed with the result, but we defended poorly and went in 3 – 1 down at half time. We thought the ordering off would get us back into the game, and to give credit to the lads, they worked hard without creating too many chances, and when we did, the Penicuik defence, and in particular their goal keeper, kept the game alive. However I cannot argue about the result”.

Click photos to enlarge

Click photo to enlarge

Click to enlarge photo

Click to enlarge photo

Click to enlarge photo

Click to enlarge photo

Click to enlarge photo