Season 2009/10

Linlithgow vs Penicuik 14.11.09 - 2nd Round East of Scotland Cup

Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Linlithgow: Pinkosnki, McEwan, Vigili, Ward, Wilson, Kelly, Livingstone, Tyrrell, Flannery, Manson, McLennon Subs: McArthur, Parkin, McDermott, Hogg, Bradley, Coyle


Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, Steel, Lynch, Meikle, Kelly, Moonie, Coleman, Cole, Walker, Montgomery Subs: Barr, Korinek, Gay, Milne, Noon


Referee: Mr Michael Taylor Assist: David Doig, Kris Liness

Linlithgow Rose 2 Penicuik 0

The game started brightly after torrential rain left the pitch heavy but playable. Both sides were evenly matched with Linlithgow perhaps just edging it on possession. It took until the 22nd minute for the first opening to arrive. Lynch lost the ball in his own half, and was relieved to see Manson’s deflected shot fly straight into keeper Bald’s hands. Minutes later, Bald had to rush from goal to dive at the feet of McLennon whilst everyone stood and watched a cross into the penalty area. In the 26th minute, Penicuik lost the ball in midfield and an excellent pass split the defence allowing McLENNON to run on to the ball, round Bald and slot home the opener. In the 33rd minute, a quick throw in by Penicuik picked out Walker who turned and fired off a low shot forcing a good save from Pinkosnki.


Immediately afterwards, a flowing move up the right wing by Penicuik saw the ball laid off to Kelly, he coolly pick his spot with a right foot drive, but Wilson, at full stretch, deflected the ball wide for a corner. Minutes later, McLennon came close with a strike at the back post, but the ball went narrowly past the other upright. Then a strike by Flannery flashed over the crossbar. In the 41st minute, Cole got past his marker on the goal line, drove into the six yard box and just as he was about to cut the ball back, Pinkosnki rushed out to block the danger. Just before half time, Linlithgow were awarded a soft free kick on the edge of the box, but the strike went past the post.


Half Time: Linlithgow 1 Penicuik 0


Three minutes into the second half, keeper Pinkosnki had to be alert to save a Cole header. Then Moonie came close after a corner kick was only cleared to the edge of the box, but his strike curled wide of the post. In the 57th minute, Penicuik broke quickly from defence and a 20-yard drive by Walker went just wide of the target. Penicuik were in control of the game and piling on the pressure and in the 62nd minute, a powerful left foot shot by Gay was fumbled by keeper Pinkosnki who had to scramble to gather at the second attempt. At the other end, a long clearance from defence picked out Flannery who spotted keeper Bald rushing from goal, but his lob went inches wide the target.


Then, following a Penicuik free kick, Pinkosnki was a full stretch to save a net bound header by Cole. In the 78th minute, totally against the run of play, and with Penicuik claiming offside, MANSON waltzed past two Penicuik defenders to slam the ball past Bald into the top right hand corner of the net. Five minutes later, Linlithgow attacked up the right wing and Bald pulled off a great one handed save to turn the ball on to the post and the danger was cleared. Just before the final whistle, Linlithgow again attacked up the right wing and a great cross into the six-yard box was headed by Tyrrell, but hi effort was brilliantly saved by Bald. In the dying seconds of the game, substitute McArthur headed inches over the bar from six yards.

Click photo to enlarge

Click photo to enlarge

Click photo to enlarge

Click photo to enlargelin097.jpg

Click photo to enlarge