Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs Kinnoull 31.10.09
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, Steel, Lynch, Meikle, Kelly, Gray, Coleman, Harvey, Walker, Moonie Subs: Cole, Trialist, Noon, Milne, Trialist, McKean


Kinnoull: Bruce, Nicol, Gardiner, Morrison, Gordon, Duigan, Anton, Kelly, Holden, McManus, McKenzie Subs: McIntosh, McKinlay, Sweeney, Ross, McAllister


Referee: Mr C McVicar

Penicuik 1 Kinnoull 2

The game started brightly with Kinnoull the first to threaten when a low cross was driven into the six-yard box, but keeper Bald was quick to cut out the danger. In the 12th minute a well struck Moonie free kick was comfortably saved by Bruce. One minute later, Penicuik took the lead after a slick move between Walker and Moonie culminated with HARVEY powerfully heading home Moonie’s pinpoint cross. In the 20th minute, a long clearance by Gallagher picked out Harvey who turned his marker only to see his powerful drive tipped over the bar by Bruce. Then a free kick to Penicuik was blocked and fell to Gallagher, but Bruce saved his strike.


Minutes later, Bruce was again in action when he dived low to his left to save a left foot strike by Moonie. In the 34th minute, Gallagher did well to block a shot by Kelly for a corner kick. From the corner GARDINER got in ahead of Bald to head home the equaliser from close range. Three minutes later referee McVicar harshly red carded Moonie for a trip from behind. A decision that stunned even the visiting support. Shortly afterwards, Gardiner was denied a goal when Bald brought off a superb save to turn his strike round the post.


Half Time: Penicuik 1 Kinnoull 1


Four minutes into the second half, despite being down to ten men, Penicuik were pushing Kinnoull back in defence and Kelly was unlucky to see his shot deflected narrowly past for a corner kick. In the 52nd minute, following another corner to Penicuik, keeper Bruce pulled off a great one handed save to deny Meikle. Five minutes later, the same player failed to clear from defence but had Bald to thank when he got a fingertip to Anton’s strike to deflect it over the bar. From the corner, McManus drilled his shot a foot wide of the target. In the 65th minute, Penicuik should have taken the lead when Penicuik’s trialist was set free with only the keeper to beat, but again Bruce came to the rescue blocking the shot with his legs. Immediately afterwards, following good work between Gray and Harvey, Gray’s cross into the six-yard box was missed by everyone, and the danger cleared.


Then in the 72nd minute, a quick break by Kinnoull saw a deep cross to the back post headed back to the edge of the box where HOLDEN slammed the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Three minutes later, Meikle got in behind the Kinnoull defence to head a free kick narrowly past the upright. In the 80th minute, keeper Bald rushed from goal and brought down Holden just outside the box. With everyone expecting a red card to be brandished by referee McVicar, only a yellow was produced. From the free kick, Bald was well place to save McKenzie’s effort. Penicuik continued to battle right up to the final whistle, but the ten men could not break down the visitors defence.

Click on photos to enlarge