Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs Carnoustie 10.10.09
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, Milne, Lynch, Meikle, Barr, Kelly, Gay, Harvey, Moonie, Steel Subs: Cole, Walker, Coleman, Gray, Korinek, Sandison


Carnoustie: Jamieson, Clark, Smith, Robertson, Hendry, Hall, Cook, Masson, Cumming, Reilly, McIlravey Subs: Narey, Urquhart


Referee: Mr Paul Wedlock

Penicuik 1 Carnoustie 1

The game started brightly with both teams evenly matched. However, in the 7th minute referee Wedlock blew his whistle when Cook appeared to be fouled in the box, but to the relief of the Penicuik fans, Cook was booked for diving. One minute later, Harvey had a chance for Penicuik, but his glancing header slid wide of the target. In the 17th minute, following good work by Harvey and Mooney, Steel’s cross went straight into the arms of Jamieson. Then a Carnoustie free kick was well covered by Bald who then launched a long clearance upfield to pick out Harvey. He set up Barr but his weak cross was easily gathered by Jamieson. Then two successive free kicks to Carnoustie were strongly defended by Penicuik.


 Penicuik were almost caught out in the 26th minute when Cook drew two Penicuik defenders to set up Reilly, but his attempted lob was comfortably saved by Bald in goal. On the half hour the same player tried a long-range shot that caused Bald little problem. Then Bald was well placed to save a McIlravey strike. Penicuik took the lead in the 37th minute when Kelly refused to give up and dispossessed Smith, cut the ball back into the middle of the penalty box and GAY slammed the ball on goal. Keeper Jamieson got a hand to the ball, but couldn’t stop it hitting the back of the net.


Half Time: Penicuik 1 Carnoustie 0


In the opening minute of the half, Harvey got past two defenders only to see his cross cut out by Jamieson. Then substitute Coleman set Moonie free on the left, but his strike fizzed inches past the keeper’s left hand post. Shortly afterwards, a mistake by Meikle allowed Cumming in on goal. He then took on Steel, but Meikle recovered to put in a tackle and clear the danger. Two minutes later, Reilly was picked out with a free kick to the back post, but his delightfully flighted chip came back off the crossbar and cleared. Carnoustie equalised in the 53rd minute when COOK coolly slotted the ball past Bald from just inside the penalty box.


Carnoustie piled on the pressure, and only some excellent defending by Penicuik kept the scores level. Minutes later, Harvey again got the better of the Carnoustie defence and his cross was headed goal wards by Moonie only to be blocked and thumped clear before Coleman could pounce. In the 64th minute, Kelly was dispossessed in his own half, but much to his relief, McIlravey’s shot went high and wide of the target. Then Carnoustie substitute Urquhart, charged down the left wing leaving Penicuik players trailing in his wake, but his low hard cross was missed by everyone. Penicuik had a great chance to take all three points in the 92nd minute, again set up by Harvey, but they took too long to take the opportunity to shoot on goal and the danger was cleared.