Season 2009/10

Arniston vs Penicuik 22.8.09 League Cup
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Arniston: Rachowski, Cennerazzo, Moriarty, Donlevy, Oplika, Bonthrone, Morris, Ellis, Borthwick, Howitt, Martin Subs: Foster, Nicholson, Cunnison, Lucas, Hunter, Godfrey


Penicuik: Trialist, Gallagher, Lynch, Meikle, Steel, Gay, Barr, Coleman, Moonie, Walker, Cole Subs: Kelly, Kennedy, Robertson, Milne, McKean, Sandison

Arniston 5 Penicuik 2

Straight from the kick off, Cole muscled his way past two defenders to set up Walker, but Rachowski saved his shot at the second attempt. Then in the 5th minute, Arniston attacked up the right wing when the ball was laid off to MARTIN who drilled the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Five minutes later, Morris had another chance, but his shot was comfortably saved by the Penicuik keeper. Then the same player saw his next strike go narrowly past the post. At the other end, Cole should have done better, but shot straight at the keeper. Two minutes later, Penicuik’s trialist keeper pulled off an excellent double save to deny Morris.


Penicuik were back on level terms in the 29th minute when the smallest man on the park, WALKER, out jumped the Arniston defence to bullet home a header into the far corner of the net. Minutes later Donlevy just got in ahead of Kennedy to clear the danger for Arniston. In the 42nd minute, following a spell of possession football by Arniston, Bonthrone got the ball in the middle of the park, drove forward ten yards and let fly with a long range strike that went about a foot over the crossbar. Just before half time, Penicuik’s keeper had to rush from goal and dive at the feet of Cennerazzo and clear the danger. The final kick off the half fell to Coleman but his effort was dragged just wide of the target.


Half Time:  Arniston 1 Penicuik 1


In the opening seconds of the half, a powerful shot by Barr went inches over the bar with keeper Rachowski watching anxiously. Play switched swiftly to the Penicuik goal where the keeper had to be alert to save a Howitt shot. In the 48th minute, Arniston restored their lead when a deflected shot fell to HOWITT who turned quickly to volley home from 12 yards. One minute later, a long ball caught out the Penicuik defence, but Howitt’s flick hit the side netting. In the 52nd minute, following some neat dribbling by Kennedy, Coleman saw his net bound shot brilliantly saved by Rachowski. Two minutes later, MORRIS attacked down the right wing, and with everyone expecting a cross, he hammered the ball into the far corner of the net.


Penicuik cut the deficit in the 69th minute when substitute ROBERTSON, at full stretch, brilliantly lobbed keeper Rachowski. However, from the restart, Arniston’s MARTIN was allowed to run the full length of the Penicuik half and gave the keeper no chance with a delightful finish. Shortly after this Penicuik’s Kennedy went for an early bath after receiving a second yellow card. Arniston really turned the screw and, with a man down, Penicuik were under the cosh and defending desperately. However the inevitable happened in the 85th minute when Arniston substitute LUCAS wrapped up the scoring when he had the easiest of tasks to tap home from inside the six-yard box.

Click photos to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Kris Steel's eye is cut by Morris's flying elbow

click to enlarge