Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs Dunbar 15.8.09 League Cup
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Penicuik: Bald, Lynch, Milne, Meikle, Gibb, Gallagher, Noon, Coleman, Cole, Walker, Moonie Subs: Steel, Robertson, McKean, Sandison


Dunbar Utd: Johnston, Lothian, Laing, Twaddle, Rooney, Hebdon, Weir, Grant, Jones, Robertson, Devine Subs: Thomson, Girdwood, Chisholm, Gibb, Brown

Penicuik 2 Dunbar 2

The game started brightly with both sides testing the opposition’s defences, but failing to create any clear-cut chances. Dunbar gradually began to come more into the game with Hebdon and Grant in midfield showing up well. In the 15th minute, Dunbar attacked up the right when Weir sent over a cross to the back post. Jones rose above the Penicuik defence only to head the ball inches past Bald’s right hand post. At the other end Walker saw his strike deflected past the post for a corner. On the half hour, keeper Johnston did well to turn a Walker drive past the post for corner to Penicuik.


Minutes later, the Dunbar defence held out against a concerted attack by Penicuik when Meikle’s header and then Milne’s strike was blocked for another corner. Then in the 39th minute, a mazy run by Dunbar’s best player, Grant, was ended when Gibb tripped him up on the edge of the box. The free kick was well struck past the defensive wall, but Bald, at full stretch, tipped the ball round the post for a corner kick. Three minutes later, Cole’s tenacity saw him out muscle two defenders to send over a high cross into the penalty box. NOON out jumped the defence and his header looped over Johnston into the net.


Half Time: Penicuik 1 Dunbar 2


In the opening minute of the second half, Gallagher curled in a corner kick for Penicuik. The ball deceived everyone, but was headed off the line by Hebdon. In the 50th minute, Walker set up Moonie, but Johnston comfortably saved his curling left foot strike. Then a long throw in by Laing was cleared by the Penicuik defence, but straight back out to Laing who fairly smashed the ball back on goal, missing the target by inches. Dunbar then came close from a corner kick that was headed inches over the bar. In the 60th minute, Hebdon set up Jones who had only Bald to beat. His shot was partially block by the keeper, and trundled towards the goal line, but Meikle appeared from nowhere to clear.


Five minutes later, it was Dunbar’s turn to thank their keeper when he got his fingertips to a Walker shot to deflect it past the post. In the 71st minute, following a nice spell of possession football by Dunbar, Grant saw his strike just miss the target. Three minutes later, slightly against the run of play, Penicuik doubled their lead when, following a corner, ROBERTSON hooked home the loose ball from inside the six-yard box. Penicuik then took the foot off the pedal and allowed Dunbar to come at them, and in the 82nd minute, substitute GIRDWOOD slotted the ball home under the body of keeper Bald. Dunbar continued to press and Bald had to be alert to save a header at his near post. In the 91st minute, Two Penicuik defenders failed to stop a cross coming in from the right and GIRDWOOD was there again to volley home and take a deserved share of the points.



Click on photos to enlarge