Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs Hearts U/19s 21.7.09
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Match Mascot Hearts
Jordan, Match mascot Hearts

Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, Kennedy, Lynch, Meikle, Kelly, Gay, Coleman, Cole, Noon, Moonie Subs: Gibb, Robertson, Jamieson, Milne, Ramage.


Hearts: Ridgers, Brown, Park, J Armstrong, McGowan, Stewart, Mulrooney, Husband, Smith, Glen, Novikovas, Subs: Wagner, Kello, Thomson, Robinson, Walker, D Armstrong


Referee: Mr Michael Banks

Penicuik 0 Hearts 1
(Match abandoned 85th Minute)

The game started evenly matched until the 6th minute when an error by Lynch allowed SMITH to head home for Hearts from eight yards. Immediately afterwards a free kick to Penicuik was struck by Gay, and with Ridgers beaten the ball crashed back off the post and cleared. In the 16th minute a free kick to Hearts just outside the penalty area was laid off to the side, but the shot trundled wide of the goal. At the other end, a deep cross by Gallagher was headed just wide of the target by Coleman. Two minutes later, Cole was inches away from connecting with a pass by Kelly and keeper Ridgers rushed out to clear.


In Hearts next attack, Mulrooney should have done better when he dragged his shot across the face of the goal with only Bald to beat. On the half hour, a deflected Hearts shot beat Bald but the ball hit the base of the post and went out for a corner. From the corner, Glen’s powerful shot flashed inches over the crossbar. Minutes later, Kelly lost possession in midfield and the Penicuik defence were caught out. However, Glen should have taken on the shot from inside the box, but opted to cross and the ball was cut out by Gallagher. Penicuik had two chances when Cole saw his excellent cross cut out by McGowan, and then Kelly was ruled offside when in a good position.


Half Time: Penicuik 0 Hearts 1


The second half continued in the same vein as the first with Hearts having most of the possession, but with little end product. Then in the 59th minute, Hearts attacked down the right, but again the effort on goal by Walker was wide of the target. Play was then held up for ten minutes when substitute Elias Wagner sadly suffered a broken leg when fairly tackled by Gay. In the 60th minute, amid a torrential downpour, Penicuik created to good chances, but on each occasion, the ball was blocked and cleared. Five minutes later, Hearts attacked through the middle of the park and Robinson saw his shot go a yard wide of Bald’s right hand post.

Penicuik were coming more into the game in this half, and came close when Jamieson drove the ball low and hard across the six yard box only to see keeper Ridgers cut out the cross at the feet of Cole. The weather was continuing to deteriorate rapidly with torrential rain and when the lightning struck, referee Banks had no hesitation in abandoning the game in the 85th minute. Despite the conditions, this friendly game manager McKean a good look at his new signings and he expressed his satisfaction with how the team played, particularly in the second half.




Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge


Click to enlarge