Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs Linlithgow Rose MJM Flooring Cup Semi Final 4.6.09

Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Penicuik Athletic: David Livie, Graham Gallagher, Darren Moonie, Craig Meikle, Brian Foster, Kevin Milne, Ryan Gay, Dean Jones, Graeme Cole, Grant Killin and Ross Montgomery. Subs: Stuart McKean, Kris Steel, Keith Barr and g/k Raymie Sandison.


Linlithgow Rose: Steve Pinkowski, Mark Robertson, Craig McEwan, Kevin Donnolly, Keith Hogg, Danny Smith, Brian Carrigan, Murray McDowell, Gordon Herd, Tommy Coyne and Mark Bradley.


Referee: Paul Reid. Assistants: Declan Reid and Jim Murray.

Penicuik 1 Linlithgow Rose 1
(Linlithgow won 3-4 on penalties)

A much depleted Penicuik team took on Super League side Linlithfow Rose in the semi final of the St. Michael’s Cup sponsored by Bonnyrigg firm MJM Flooring. Mark Cowan and Kris Steel had failed to recover from injury while Colin McDonald had work commitments. Keith Barr pulled up injured in the warm up leaving manager Snowy McKean as the only fit player on the substitute’s bench. Linlithgow on the other hand, who are starting to find their feet under new manager Dave Baikie were able to name the same team that lifted the Fife and Lothians Cup in last week’s final against Thornton Hibs. 


Linlithgow started the sharper but failed to trouble Livie in the home goal. Penicuik gradually gained a foothold in the game and were challenging for every ball. Pinkowski in the visitor’s goal had fine saves from efforts by Grant Killin and Graeme Cole but his best save was from a Foster header. Jones was troubling the visitor’s defence with some mazy runs and efforts by Gay and Milne flew narrowly past as Penicuik went in search of the opening goal.

The breakthrough came fifteen minutes into the second half when Meikle headed a Gay corner into the net to give Penicuik a well deserved lead. Linlithgow hit back within three minutes through Donnolly with Penicuik claiming vainly for offside as Coyle came running back from an off side position without interfering with play. Penicuik began to tire and Foster left the field with an injury to be replaced by McKean. Linlithgow were winning a large amount of free kicks but were unable to make their pressure tell. With Gallagher also limping badly Linlithgow were in control and with a few minutes remaining it looked as if the ever dangerous Herd who scored a late winner at West Calder in the last round had done it again for Linlithgow. However, Moonie popped up with a goal line clearance to keep the scores level. Moonie was almost a hero at the other end but he shot past after a strong run. There were half hearted appeals for a penalty when Cole stumbled in the box after being set up by another strong Jones run.


With the game tied at one goal each it took penalty kicks to find a winner. Penicuik had qualified for the semi final with a penalty shoot out win over Camelon when keeper Livie was the hero with two penalty saves. However, this time he failed to stop any of Linlithgow’s well taken efforts. Gay, Moonie and Gallagher all netted for Penicuik but both Montgomery and Milne’s efforts were saved by Pinkowski to send Linlithgow through to this season’s final.