Season 2009/10

Ballingry vs Penicuik 25.409
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

My thanks to John Mumford for the match report.

Ballingry Rovers: K Smith, Logan, Condie, Dempster, Rollo, Duncan, B Smith, L Dair, Brown, Smart, Gray. Subs: Roberts, Davies, McLean, Sutherland, Chalmers.


Penicuik Athletic: Livie, Gallagher, Steel, Lynch, Foster, Milne, Killin, Barr, Cameron, McDonald, Moonie. Subs: Cole, Jones, McKean.


Referee: Mr David McKenzie.

Ballingry 2 Penicuik 2

Penicuik started the match kicking uphill with a following stiff breeze. Both teams set out to play attacking football and play flowed from end to end. The first real chance of the game came just after 3 minutes when, after good lead up play by Ballingry, the ball was played to Smart but his weak effort went wide of the mark. This prompted some action at the other end of the park with a speculative shot by Moonie which didn’t trouble keeper Smith. Neither team was able to settle into a rhythm in these early stages where a series of constant fouls and some tough tackles resulted in referee McKenzie lecturing both Milne and Gray.
 Penicuik were awarded a free kick just over the half way line and from Gallagher’s delivery, Cameron just failed to get his head to the ball. In the 10th minute Ballingry took the lead when a corner from the left was only cleared as far as DAIR who, from 18 yards, drove the ball left footed through the crowd of players into the net. This was a setback to Penicuik at this stage as they seemed to be coming more into the game although the players were having difficulty gauging the strength of the wind by over hitting balls and chances were being wasted. During this spell, Cameron shot wide from a through ball by Barr then Barr tested Smith when his shot from 30 yards was saved.
 Minutes later, a long through ball from Lynch found Barr whose shot was blocked by Smith and the danger was cleared. Play was still going from end to end and a penalty claim from a Mooney shot was turned down. In the 28th minute Dair had a chance to double Ballingray’s lead when he went clear amid claims for offside but Livie brought off a good save. Cameron was constantly causing the home defence problems with his aerial dominance, but on the half hour mark he was booked for dissent following a couple of disputed fouls. Minutes later, Ballingry then had what appeared to be valid penalty claim turned down following a clumsy Foster challenge. Barr’s name was next to go into the referee’s book for a late tackle. Following two consecutive corners from Killin which came to nothing, a Gray shot from 10 yards was just wide at the other end. A long throw-in from Foster found Cameron whose header was easily cleared. Gallagher received treatment for a head knock as the referee brought a scrappy first half to a close.

Half Time: Ballingry Rovers 1  Penicuik Athletic 0


Cole replaced McDonald for the start of the second half and immediately he was causing problems with his pace and in the air. Three minutes into the half, both Milne and Smith had to receive treatment after a clash of heads. Ballingry were not able to take advantage of the wind and it was Penicuik who were the more settled side after the break, moving the ball a lot better and keeping the Ballingry defence under steady pressure. A Cameron effort from 18 yards was saved at the second attempt as Penicuik continued to push for an equaliser. A long clearance over the Penicuik defence almost caught Livie out as he misjudged the flight of the ball resulting in a corner kick which was scrambled clear.


Penicuik were back on the offensive as Killin won a free kick 25 yards from goal. Barr took the kick and ‘scored’ a seemingly good goal as he placed a right foot shot high into the top left hand corner of the net only for the referee to order a re-take which Milne shot wide.  Penicuik continued to dominate and after good play by Moonie cutting in from the right he set up Cole who missed a good opportunity in front of goal.  Jones replaced Moonie as Penicuik continued to press then Foster had a good header saved from a second corner kick in succession. Smart was booked for dissent after he had disputed another corner kick to Penicuik. A good move involving Steel, Cole and Barr forced a fourth corner kick in as many minutes but they just could not find that finishing touch.


In the 76th minute Penicuik were finally rewarded with a well worked goal when Barr moved the ball wide left to Steel who crossed a perfect ball for FOSTER to head in from 5 yards. A speculative Barr shot just narrowly over from 30 yards.  As Penicuik were now committed to all out attack, Ballingry were starting to get further upfield with a few attacks and stretching the Penicuik defence.  With 10 minutes of normal time remaining, McKean replaced Killin in midfield who was suffering from blisters. Ballingry continued their pressure with a corner, a 25 yard free kick and a break through the middle saved by Livie. Play then settled around midfield until in the 89th minute Milne conceded a foul 25 yards out on the right. From the free kick DAIR scored his second goal of the game with a well placed shot well out of Livie’s reach into the top left hand corner. Ballingry were jubilant at this stage but Penicuik went all out for the equaliser straight from the kick off and in the 92nd minute McKEAN forced the ball over the line in a melee of players. Not content with a draw, Penicuik went chasing a winner but had to settle for a draw as referee McKenzie blew the whistle after 5 minutes of added time. Penicuik can feel they should have got more out of this game particularly as they dominated most of the second half but they could not capitalise on the chances they created.